The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can never Understand sampling and need to understand.
Old 7th September 2019
Here for the gear

Can never Understand sampling and need to understand.

Hi there I am more analogue synth person but here is an example I am havig problems and was hoping for inspiration to where I am going in a high level please.
I am aware of single shot example drum sounds , single sound shots, but the issue i have say for example I hear a track and would like to do a re-mix or take a piece say 5-10 secs out of song (e.g there is an awesome drum pattern or vocals from old-skool)
(please note I am not making money out of this.. this is purely hobby wise) ... I have the following questions which i am unclear.

1. How do you find the right start point cause I can loop from any point but how do i get a right start point which I can cut/edit wav files also.

2. How do u find a pitch of say a voice singing or backdrop singers and how to adjust the source or find the pitch and adjust your synths.

3. With me editing wav files , i can quickly load it up and the sampler can easily put time slice and can adjust straight away with the bpm and pitch and sync.

3. Best software to deal with this. I have geist 2 but i dont like machine 2
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARINDER View Post

1. How do you find the right start point cause I can loop from any point but how do i get a right start point which I can cut/edit wav files also.
while I have met a few producers who loop from "2" to "2", I think most people loop from the downbeat - the "1". If you can count along to the music and understand where the "1" is, you can mark it there. Then you have to find the "1" of the next measure, and mark that. I usually put my marker right before the hit. (There is usually a kick drum on "1", but not always) If your out point marker is also just before the "1" of the next measure, it should loop perfectly. The idea is that you should be at the same "spot" counting wise - just in the following measure.

Your DAW probably has a loop playback feature. Loop play from marker to marker to make sure your loop is symmetrical. If you are off, you will hear it "limp" or "skip". Fine-tune the markers if it is not smooth, and when it feels right, then cut the audio.

You can use the method to cut multi-bar loops as well. The important thing is to go from the exact start of the note to the exact start of the equivalent note. If you give it a "cushion" of a few ms, then you need to give the same cushion on the other end. I think the reason some people cut on the "2" is that the snare may be easier to find, certainly easier to see. The issue here is that you will need to paste it on a quarter-note grid and offset your loops so that they line up with the 1-2-3-4 of the rest of the band.

Quote:
2. How do u find a pitch of say a voice singing or backdrop singers and how to adjust the source or find the pitch and adjust your synths.
I make my sample first, then I play it via MIDI layered with a piano or organ sound that I know is in tune. They will sound together, and it will be pretty obvious if the sample is higher or lower. Then just turn the tuning knob on the sampler until the sample lines up with the piano.

Quote:
3. Best software to deal with this. I have geist 2 but i dont like machine 2
no idea. I use Pro Tools, but quite probably it is nowhere near the "best" software for sampling and MIDI stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

cheers for this , would u suggest a good you tube ripper and store as wav files ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi is there also a utility just to get vocals out of a song ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
cheers for this , would u suggest a good you tube ripper and store as wav files ?
Youtube quality isn't usually great

Better to buy the track as a wav (or at least 320kbps) - many tracks are 99c?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Basically, no

You can look for 'accapella' versions of the song (this is one name for a piece of music featuring 'just the vocals'), you can try to 'eq' the rest of the track out so that the drums etc are less 'prominent', you can try things like reversing the phase of an instrumental version, but again the quality will suffer. Tools are improving for this but they're not perfect at all

Search for 'accapellas' and see what you can find

Good luck
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Audionamix makes a number of separation products.
They have something called TRAX, one called STEMS, and once called Vocal Volume Control. TRAX is a vocal separation plug-in. STEMS is a stand-alone and will split the file into 3 parts: Vocals, Drums and Everything Else.

Izotope RX7 can do 4 parts - vocals, drums, bass and Everything Else.

While it is a miracle of modern technology that these things even exist, you should know that they produce far from perfect results. There are a lot of artifacts and so on.

I have used them and the separated vocal track has all these weird artifacts that are pieces of guitar or piano that got taken along with the voice - and of course there are pieces of vocal that got "left behind". In the instrumental track. It would not sound good soloed.

Some of the programs allow you to fine-tune the separation and with what seems to me to be a lot of tedious tweaking, you can improve the results that the 'auto' version of the process gives you. IMO, it's easier to get rid of a vocal than to get a clean isolated vocal. Or more precisely - it is harder to hear the artifacts in a busy mix than in a soloed voice.

It was useful to me, in that I only wanted to rebalance a mix, not get rid of something altogether.

This kind of technology was something I used to always tell my students was "Impossible". It is now on the cutting edge of Just Barely Possible - but to do a good job, there will be a steep learning curve.

You probably will not like the sound quality of the one-button automatic separations. Someone just starting out in audio production is looking at a number of already steep learning curves without adding getting good at using this weird separation software to your to-do list.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search