The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording drums with my mics
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Recording drums with my mics

Hi guys,

I am going to record drums for the first time soon and need your advice !

Here is a list of the mics i have available, let me know where and how you would use them !

1 SM57
1 MB75
2 ISK pearl
2 ISK little gem
2 ISK TDM 1
2 shure PG81
1 shure rs45
1 tbone sc400

Thanks a lot !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

57 on snare, TDM on kick, 81 on hat, experiment with the other condensers as overhead/room mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I would put a tdm 1 on the kick and another on the floor tom. Put the 57 on snare top and either a pearl or a little gem on the bottom. Put the MB75 on your rack tom. Use the 2 pg81s as an ortf or xy arrangement for OH's. Then if you have a decent room experiment with the remaining matched pair of SDCs for stereo room mic set up or the sc400 as a mono room mic. If you really want a hat mic use remaining isk mic for that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

So you think the pg81 would work better as drum overheads than the pearl or the little gem ?

Thanks,
Jean
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwagon06 View Post
So you think the pg81 would work better as drum overheads than the pearl or the little gem ?

Thanks,
Jean
Experiment. If you like the little gem better on OHs use that. I have never used the pg81s but I do own a set of sm81s and they do well as OHs. I personally prefer using Large Diaphragm Condenser mics for OHs but the 81s have worked well in that role for me in the past.

The latest drums I recorded I used a modified Glynn Johns set up. I had a Shure beta 52 on the kick, sm57 on the snare top, sm81 on the snare bottom with the highpass filter engaged. 57s on the rack and floor toms, warm audio wa47jr's set up in the glynn johns technique for OHs and an akg c414 b-uls set in omni mode as a mono room mic. The 47jr's are set to cardioid pattern. No high pass filters engaged on the warm mics or the akg.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search