The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Scarlett 2i2 question
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Scarlett 2i2 question

Hey, I bought this as my very first audio interface, I'm very new to this stuff so please don't bash me :-D

In Guitar Rig 5 I've been getting this annoying latency, been tweaking the buffer size and whatnot and managed to get it down to 3.5ms but it's still too much, throws me off.

I'm playing the audio from my cheapish speakers that are connected to my PC.
I'm not an expert but heard that in order to reduce the latency it would be better to have either separate monitors hooked up straight to the audio interface (the Scarlett in this case). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias1995 View Post
In Guitar Rig 5 I've been getting this annoying latency... I'm playing the audio from my cheapish speakers that are connected to my PC.
Short answer - yes, plug the speakers (or some headphones) into your Scarlett!

You'll need to make sure Guitar Rig is set to output to the Scarlett / ASIO, not your internal computer sound output. If you're using the standalone Guitar Rig app on Windows, go into the File -> Audio And MIDI Settings menu, set the Driver to ASIO and the Device to Focusrite USB Audio. I think I personally get best performance with the Sample Rate set to 96000 there.

Also if you're on Windows, you can have all the Windows audio output to the Scarlett by right-clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen in your taskbar, Open Sound Settings, and make sure "Choose your sound output" is set to Focusrite USB. But double check your audio programs as sometimes they use their own output settings instead.

The Scarlett (and any external audio interface) can't improve the sound quality or latency of your internal speakers or internal soundcard. You have to make the audio output go through the Scarlett. If you keep using your PC's internal sound for output, you'll be stuck with the bad latency (and also usually low sample rate) of the PC's internal sound. But if it helps, someone else asked a very similar question this week too, so you're not alone. And when I bought my first MIDI keyboard, I thought it was broken because the latency with my internal sound was so horribly slow... then I got a Scarlett & worked out how to use it, and everything feels instant.

Guitar Rig 5 & the Scarlett 2i2 work great together, on both Mac & Windows. Once you've got some nice headphones and/or studio monitors plugged into that Scarlett, you should be very happy!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the quick & friendly response. I've been literally bashing my head against the wall because on the other hand Guitar Rig 5 has so many cool effects and nice sounds but I simply can't use it because of the annoying latency. Monitor shopping it is then, I've been looking at the Mackie CR3 or CR4 to begin with.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I'd definitely try it with headphones you've got lying around first before rushing to buy more gear, just to make sure you've got everything working at low enough latency for you. Even if you'll mostly work with speakers, headphones are also useful for working at night or focusing on the low end.

If you don't have headphones, even phone earbuds will work too with the right adapter, though you might need to go through a few cheap adapters to find one that is compatible with Apple/Samsung/Bose inline controls.

I'm using the Scarlett 2i2 with JBL 305 Mk2 here as my first monitors and I'm pretty happy, though I've never heard the Mackies.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Alright, I'll give it a shot. I've got Kraken V2 gaming headphones which should do alright, only missing the adapter. Do you use Guitar Rig 5 only when you play/practice or do you have a tube amp?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
No amp here I'm afraid, unless you count one of those tiny Marshall MS-2 Micro Stacks or a Line6 Pod XT Pro. (I don't play live or anything, I'm nearly 100% digital and fix my awful guitar playing with lots of digital editing.)

It's possible that you really are noticing the small latency difference compared to your amp, which is why I'd feel happier if you tested with a $5 headphone adapter first before buying more expensive gear!

I just checked my Guitar Rig & when I go through my internal PC sound (Realtek) or WASAPI drivers it reports a huge 30ms latency. So if you're really getting just 3.5ms latency from your internal soundcard (and it's not being misreported), maybe that isn't something that headphones & monitors on the Scarlett can fix for you. My Scarlett 2i2 is typically around 3.2 - 3.9ms latency when I use it, at least according to Guitar Rig.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the advice, I was probably abit too hesitant to go out and buy a pair of monitors. I also have a Fender Mustang V2 practice amp, I like but upon discovering Guitar Rig 5 I'm sold on that .

I'm not sure if the 3.5ms is accurate because tbh it feels like much more, enough to throw off my timing completely and is quite frankly impossible to play with. Are you able to play with the latency that you get from having direct speakers going into the interface?

As you mentioned I might not get any better results with plugging monitors/headphones into my Scarlett, maybe it is an issue with my soundcard or settings in general.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias1995 View Post
As you mentioned I might not get any better results with plugging monitors/headphones into my Scarlett, maybe it is an issue with my soundcard or settings in general.
The Scarlett IS your soundcard (don't use the on board one) and use ASIO (less latency).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the inputs and help. I managed to find a fitting adapter to plug in my headphones and vòila, no latency at all, just like playing with an amp. I figured I can also plug in my cheap ass PC speakers with the adapter which is awesome. It's crazy how much you can do with PC nowadays, guess I'm old fashioned, lol.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search