The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
drum machine question
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

drum machine question

I have a hard time getting drummers to work with--I have three right now that are often busy, so I often decide to just keep the drum machine tracks I worked the tune up with.

I have found that sending the drum machine to monitors and mic'ing with a fat tube mic, and going into Great River then LA2a gives a great punchy sound that is pleasing even though it does not sound like a real kit.

I have discovered this lovely little drum machine called the Yamaha dd-6, which you can play with drum sticks. It sounds really cool, however, the kick as well as snare (but mostly the kick) on certain patches has a LOT of built-in reverb.

Is there a know way to kill reverb in this situation? I was wondering about sending the signal to the monitors but maybe putting the monitors under some towels or something, so maybe only more of the fundamental oomph of the kick comes through, but the reverb is more muted.

Does anyone have a known way to reduce built in digital reverb on a signal?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Is there a know way to kill reverb in this situation?
A gate can get rid of the reverb tail, but its impossible to take the reverb out of an instrument when its already printed into it. Its like trying to remove the flour from an already baked loaf of bread
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

But a gate is the best idea since you mostly hear the tail with drum reverb. You just need to gate to stay open the right amount of time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

thanks guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search