The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dirty Beaches
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dirty Beaches

So I'm really into this band called Dirty Beaches. I'm wondering what it is that makes his music sound the way it does. My assumption was that it was just tape recorded in wide, echo-heavy spaces (there's a fair bit of flutter on his records. For example 'The Road'). But for the record 'Love is the Devil', it was recorded in pro tools and sounds quite similar to his previous records

What am I hearing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Not familiar with that stuff - but I'd guess some kind of "tape sim"? I use ReelBus, and it's easy to make stuff sound like it's come off the worlds most messed-up lo-fi tape. You can do anything with these fancy computers nowadays you know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoki971 View Post
So I'm really into this band called Dirty Beaches. I'm wondering what it is that makes his music sound the way it does. My assumption was that it was just tape recorded in wide, echo-heavy spaces (there's a fair bit of flutter on his records. For example 'The Road'). But for the record 'Love is the Devil', it was recorded in pro tools and sounds quite similar to his previous records

What am I hearing?
you would be surprised on what was recorded onto a digital format like pro tools and other DAW's. People think you cannot get those sounds on a DAW, but its quite easy, as long as you start with a good sound source.

The sounds you hear come from a hundred combinations that culminate into a song. Its not just one or 2 things someone can list to get a sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Its not just one or 2 things someone can list to get a sound.
Maybe not, but if you mix up some half decent string samples, some kind of String synth emulation and a bit of fake mellotron, give it some (spring) reverb and stick the whole thing through a tape sim and maybe cut some highs - you're going to be in the ballpark.

Mess around - you can come up with interesting sounds - even if you don't clone this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search