The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for a sound module
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Head

Question Looking for a sound module

I have an entry level studio set up right now, but just missing one thing. I need some good sounds.

Can you please recommend me a MIDI sound module with a nice large collection of sounds?

Specifically sounds for industrial, synthwave, and movie soundtracks but just a lot of sounds overall I can check out and experiment with.

I would rather purchase something once and be done with it, rather than wading through dozens of free sample packs online that never have anything good. If I bought a sound module too then also I would be guaranteed that the sounds are royalty free. (right?)
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear

ok, a long time ago i had a very very large rack of midi sound modules.
i could list them but it would be a long list....

then one day in the 90s i bought a thing called a Roland 2080.

after i got that thing i found 90% of my rack gear never got used any more.

I'm sure the 2080 has been superseded by something better, but anyway today they can be had for 3 or 4 hundred bucks.

tons of sounds, easy to navigate. i still use it today.

Buddha
Old 23rd August 2019
Lives for gear
I just love it what people can do with old stuff if they know what they are doing.
https://youtu.be/w1jvPARJ0ck
Old 24th August 2019
Gear Maniac

When I went looking for one about 10 years ago I was amazed how rare they have become. But I did find a Yamaha Motif first generation on EBay for about $350.

There seems to be a lot more available now.

Since then I found the small Roland one I bought in the 80s as an output midi device for my computer. So, I have two right now, and I dont use them (but I have been thinking about it).
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Head

The Roland JV-2080 sounds pretty awesome, just listened to a demo of it. It looks out of production though, is there anything similar but more modern?
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_owl View Post
The Roland JV-2080 sounds pretty awesome, just listened to a demo of it. It looks out of production though, is there anything similar but more modern?
there is a cheeper version called a 1080.

cant remember the difference exactly.

in single sound performance mode i think the difference is zero.

Buddha
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

The only modern equivalent is the integra 7 but its a bit pricey. It does have a ton of rolands legacy sounds, 12 srx expansions and the supernatural synth and acoustic sounds. It also thousands of presets, and i do mean thousands.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Head

The Integra 7 looks pretty awesome to be honest, but yes, the price tag does make me flinch.

There are no entry level modern sound modules in production?

Basically every keyboard I have ever tried does what I want here (has at least *some* good unique sounds) but I don't need the actual keys part....
Old 26th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by foul_owl View Post
The Integra 7 looks pretty awesome to be honest, but yes, the price tag does make me flinch.

There are no entry level modern sound modules in production?

Basically every keyboard I have ever tried does what I want here (has at least *some* good unique sounds) but I don't need the actual keys part....
Have you experimented with Virtual instruments (VSTi's) ? If your computer is strong enough, you can get a lot of great sounds for low $ by investing in a couple of these.

For soundtrack stuff, I recommend SONiVOX's Filmscore Companion. They also havel the Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Big Bang (percussion) instruments sold seperately for affordable sale prices at pluginboutique.com. For retro and modern sounds, I like AIR Music Technology's Vacuum Pro and Loom II. Both of these are challenging to deal with for newbies from a sound-design perspective. However, they each come with a ton of good sounding presets.

Sektor is another good low-cost option.

Last edited by jzero; 26th August 2019 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Adding links
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Any number of soft synths will do the job better, and with a better workflow with a DAW than just about any module - unless you have a super specific need for a specific module, which doesn't sound like you do.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Head

I'm on Linux, so VSTs are out of the question pretty much.

Also, I want to be able to lend my sound modules to people. I don't want to buy some cloud crap that I can't let someone borrow for a show.

I ended up getting a Proteus 2000, an SC88 Pro, and a JV-1080, and already I have friends wanting to borrow em.

Too bad these are all out of production, they are amazing.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Head

This is the crap I'm talking about:

https://support.native-instruments.c...ccess-in-Linux

Yeah...no thanks. I like having gear that I actually truly own.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search