The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer X32 and outboard FX - how to?
Old 19th August 2019
Behringer X32 and outboard FX - how to?

Hi all.
I'm pretty new to this X32 console (I got the "Producer" version). Now I'd like to understand what's going on and/or what I'm doing wrong when it comes to add outboard FX to it.

I connected my Strymon Big Sky to the X32 as follows:
Big Sky out (L/R) <--> X32 AUX IN 3/4
Big Sky in (L/R) <--> X32 AUX OUT 3/4

So now I got following:
Channel 8 is my SH-101.
For this channel, I use bus 5/6 to send.
Then I got AUX IN 3/4 which is the "main volume" for the Big Sky.

What I miss to unterstand is: why is the external FX working, when I got channel 8 slider down to infinite? I do hear both original "dry" sound and the added FX from the Big Sky, and when I pull up channel 8, the sound simply gets louder (sort of "doubling" the dry sound)?!

Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Flavio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hi friend, I haven't read through the x32 manuals ever but this might be the issue.

Your set up is using Aux 3/4 out as FX send and Aux 3/4 IN as FX return.

In this case you most likely want to only reiceve the 100% wet signal from the FX unit.

You also probably want to set Aux send 3/4 to "POST FADER",

With Aux's set to Pre-fader, your channel fader will not change the volume sent to the FX unit.

If you FX unit is not set to 100% then you will hear 2 versions of the dry signal as you described.

1. Set your FX unit to 100% wet with the "mix" knob
2. Set Aux send 3/4 to "post fader"

Blessings!
Old 4 weeks ago
Hi DownTheLine - thanks for your help.
I was already thinking that it might have something to do with pre- and post-fader... but didn't realize how to configure it.

Now, on the Behringer X32 it's like this:

looking at the send buses, if the lowest (red) LED in their respective meters is ON, it means that it is configured as "pre-fader" (the LED states "pre" in fact).

Now I selected the send bus channel, pressed the "Home" button on the top left side of the display and moved to the right to "config" menu. Here I set "PostFader" and that worked!

Of course, my FX units are sending out 100% wet (no dry) signal.

Thanks,
Flavio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
Hi DownTheLine - thanks for your help.
I was already thinking that it might have something to do with pre- and post-fader... but didn't realize how to configure it.

Now, on the Behringer X32 it's like this:

looking at the send buses, if the lowest (red) LED in their respective meters is ON, it means that it is configured as "pre-fader" (the LED states "pre" in fact).

Now I selected the send bus channel, pressed the "Home" button on the top left side of the display and moved to the right to "config" menu. Here I set "PostFader" and that worked!

Of course, my FX units are sending out 100% wet (no dry) signal.

Thanks,
Flavio.
Glad it worked!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search