The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Triggering a sidechain
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Triggering a sidechain

So I was wondering why MIDI can't be used to trigger, for example, a gain plugin sidechain or sidechain compression. What is the reason that only audio can be used?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
MIDI is not a wave file. A wave files is the equivilent of sound down a cable.
Midi is to a piano as text is to a wordprocessor.
The wave file is the printed page after you have picked a font. Hence the term soundfont (AKA softsynth)

Could it be done, sure. however I am not aware of anybody who has made that software.
If you map the MIDI to a sound, that can make it work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post

Could it be done, sure. however I am not aware of anybody who has made that software..
a few of my old Hardware reverb units (LXP-1, HR-MP5) have MIDI jacks. The main use for MIDI in these devices was for simple program change, but they could be programmed to modify certain parameters based on MIDI input. For example, room size could be mapped to velocity. So the harder you hit the key, the bigger the room. Obviously this was only good for that one keyboard at a time.

Offhand, I cannot think of any compressors or gates that have MIDI

Quote:
If you map the MIDI to a sound, that can make it work
yeah, if the OP just wants to trigger something, the sidechain inputs are waiting for a trigger. It has to be audio, and it has to exceed the threshold, but other than that, the sidechain inputs don't care "which" sound it is. It could be anything, a piano sound, a drum hit, or an organ.

Press the key, make a sound, send that sound to the sidechain.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
... and it has to exceed the threshold, but other than that, the sidechain inputs don't care "which" sound it is.
For attack and release it wil "care".
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
For attack and release it wil "care".
I guess you are right.

the sidechain will respond to any sound, but I suppose if you fed a drum hit to a gate, (for example) it might close down too soon for your liking or if you sent an organ, it might stay open too long. You probably would have to spend some time tweaking your 'source'.

Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to use the sidechain the way it was intended to be used. OP has not really explained what advantage doing this via MIDI would provide.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Yeah, obv, we can turn midi into a noise and use that for sidechaining. We might well use a sustained sound for that, giving us control of the gate via note length.

Alternatively, there's so-called "midi gates" out there. Lets us (for instance) chop up a sound rhythmically - effectively turning it into a kinda-percussive element. I'm sure there's other uses.

... and of course in those DAWs that support parameter modulation (I use Reaper) you can do all kinds of stuff with audio controlled by MIDI
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoki971 View Post
So I was wondering why MIDI can't be used to trigger, for example, a gain plugin sidechain or sidechain compression. What is the reason that only audio can be used?
Because compressors are audio devices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search