The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
minimum requirements for rec pro vocals? +upgrade question
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
You’re the one who doesn’t understand. No one is buying microphones to sell for more money later. People buy these microphones because they have proven their quality over decades of cherished recordings that millions and millions of people have been inspired by. That’s the same reason the emulations you’re advertising modeled these exact same mics: Because they are very desirable, top-quality instruments. Since most of these mics cost around the $10,000-$15,000 range, anyone buying one must also be concerned with whether they’ll be able to sell it should they need to. But they’re buying the mics to use, not for financial speculation.
I replied specially, in reference to a chessparov's comment above, which is:

"I can see/hear the value of a virtual set up.
Keep in mind though, this at best, is a long term rental.

Whereas, if I buy a vintage U87/67/47, most likely they will increa$e in value."
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Most of the time.
Chris
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
I replied specially, in reference to a chessparov's comment above, which is:

"I can see/hear the value of a virtual set up.
Keep in mind though, this at best, is a long term rental.

Whereas, if I buy a vintage U87/67/47, most likely they will increa$e in value."
I understand what you were replying to. I'm saying that justifying an expensive purchase with "Well this mic I'd love to buy is a lot of money, but it'll probably increase in value" is not the same thing as "Here is an investment vehicle for growing my money!" The bottom line is that the person wishes to use that microphone and is weighing the pros and cons of such an expensive purchase.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear
This isn’t much of an argument. It is a completely valid point to note that a particular microphone holds its value and is not going to end as a huge loss if it isn’t a fit for you. That’s something every GSer should consider regarding “spendy” purchases. You are going to get a good bit of your purchase price back if you sell a mint year-old RE20. You are probably going to lose most of your initial investment if you decide to sell and ship a year old huge off-brand subwoofer.

It is a completely different point of view to consider the microphone market as an end unto itself, and to scheme about how you can buy, sell, and trade microphones as a profitable business. That really isn’t the mindset of most GS posters.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That really isn’t the mindset of most GS posters.
I don’t know if you were responding to me, but this was the same argument that I was making, so no argument from me! The “Emulation X is as good as the real one” folks always make the argument that owners of Expensive Vintage Item X are in it for the money/investment, are concerned with the prices going down if they were to admit that Emulation X is just as good, yadda yadda. Anything but the more obvious reality that these things are desirable, popular tools which people would prefer to use over the emulations and copies, if they can justify the expense.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Nut

I really can see, how different people can interpret things in so many unimaginable different ways.

@ chessparov2.0 is guy with an intellect. He understood the context and replied in 1 line, those missing words in his earlier post. And now i got what he meant to say.
Much love to you brother.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
I don’t know if you were responding to me
I wasn’t. I usually either quote or include a name if I’m responding to a specific post or poster. But we are wandering around the same central ideas.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks Ziko.
Today was one of those days, where I didn't quite lose my mind...

Only temporarily misplaced it!
Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search