The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Do audio engineers sometimes "copy and paste"?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Do audio engineers sometimes "copy and paste"?

In a lot of songs i listen to, i hear that the chorus is often sung the EXACT same way (really the exact same voice cracks or details) each time.

So my question is : do singers record only one take of the chorus and then the engineer "copy and pastes" it every time chorus comes, or is it just me ?

I noticed the same thing on some guitar /drums parts which sounds exactly similar. I also heard that some like to do multiple takes of a part and assemble the "best-of" parts of each take to make it sound perfect.

Thanks to anyone who can bring an answer
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Yes, all of the above happens frequently. Mostly, because of contemporary popular music form and aesthetics, although it's not necessarily a genre-dependent practice. Sometimes, it's done that way because performers are not proficient, consistent, or capable of interpreting a recurrent section of a song with desirable nuance.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
I can't speak for everyone, but in most of the productions I work on this is absolutely the case. Copy/paste!
Old 3 days ago
'Copy-and-paste' can have artistic value - beyond trance/house. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if it's a copy-and-paste or skilled musicianship/engineering. There may even be very subtle, almost imperceptible variations between similar sounding choruses. Dave Pensado has made some good videos on that subtle fx variation.

Sometimes 'copy-and-paste' is super-obvious; other times you'd need to null the track sections to be sure.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Generally speaking, if your singer and instrumentalists 'nail the hook'.. you would copy and paste for sure. I have heard exceptions, but its usually for the sake of artistic experimentation when the chorus differs from the last one. If a song is well composed and the energy is on point, the listener shouldn't think 'gee.. this sounds like the same exact audio as the last hook..'
It should just make their head bang.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

when I am the "audio engineer", I do what I am told. If the singer can't or won't sing it again, then we copy and paste. It happens a lot.

When I am the producer, I have a strong feeling that the second chorus is supposed to be the second chorus and not the "first chorus again". I think the energy of a song should rise and fall, mostly rise. Cutting and pasting ensures a level trajectory.

There are some who argue for a "stylistic" approach where they claim the genre of music requires a chorus that exactly repeats. For me, unless the genre is: "Boring Music" I don't buy it.

But to answer the OP's question, yes the technique is rampant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search