The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tape machine (A- 3440) setup with Apogee symphony
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Tape machine (A- 3440) setup with Apogee symphony

Hey guys newbie tape production Q here.

I’ve got an Apogee symphony MK 1 silver face 8x8, and an SSL VHD 4 channel pre in a non mix board, laptop controlled studio.

I realize having at least a 16 track board with hot enough pre amps are ideal to get the desired tastes from tape.

But I’ve just picked up a TEAC A-3440 for drum tracking. I want to integrate it to not have to go AD-DA-DA but to be able to go straight to tape as much as possible and rely on the Apogee to do its thing.

The apogee is DB25 to xlr connected to the “analog” ins and outs, paired with the SSL VHD.

how can I plug this thing and get it to work with my particular I/O and pre situation?

Confused on the basic input/output setup/ signal flow and cables needed!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
A couple of questions...
Do you have any previous experience using, aligning and demagnetizing reel to reel tape machines?
If you could go from four drum mics through the SSL preamps, record onto tape and playback through your Apogee to your computer, would that accomplish what you want to do?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

No experience with a tape machine. How would the signal path go specifically with in and outs? Confused on how to maintain monitoring and have the tape machine hooked to SSL pre.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I’m going to bow out. You would do better in so many ways with a quality tape sim. It eliminates level and impedance mismatches, tape selection appropriate to the machine, cleaning, demagnetizing, and the inevitable failure of an old, complicated piece of electronic machinery from another century. Tape machine repair facilities are rare and expensive (as I found out last year).
Most musicians wouldn’t buy some strange instrument like bagpipes or a sitar with the expectation they could incorporate that into a live show in a week or two. You want to do some version of that, which seems like a waste of your time and money.
Good luck, if you go ahead with this.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Just looking to experiment and have some fun. Try new things that may prove to be challenging. Hey a sitar sounds fun to.
Old 1 day ago
Go from the output of each channel of the vhd pres to an inputs of the tape machine
Record to tape then once its on tape run outputs to the inputs of your apogee. As long as you have a track in your daw armed for input monitoring or the zero latency mixer that comes with most interfaces set up you should be good to go. That's the simple part. What bushman said is the hard part and some true talk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search