The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tape machines in mastering rooms, why?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tape machines in mastering rooms, why?

What is the purpose of a tape machine in a mastering room? I can only figure a couple scenarios: that they are used to bounce D/A/D for the sake of the sound and character of tape or that they're there for capturing and remastering older mixes and albums where master tapes are the truest source available.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2this View Post
What is the purpose of a tape machine in a mastering room? I can only figure a couple scenarios: that they are used to bounce D/A/D for the sake of the sound and character of tape or that they're there for capturing and remastering older mixes and albums where master tapes are the truest source available.

Pretty much nailed it
I had several reels of tracks that were mastered from tape
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Both. As lovekrafty said, you nailed it
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Good, got it! Thanks for the affirmation
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

There is also the big secret of using tape for the predelay signal for the track width on lathes.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
There is also the big secret of using tape for the predelay signal for the track width on lathes.
Really? How exactly does that benefit cutting? I know this may be an involved answer, so in a nutshell is fine, but am curious.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really? How exactly does that benefit cutting? I know this may be an involved answer, so in a nutshell is fine, but am curious.
When the signal is lower the groove is cut finer permitting more music on the side.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
When the signal is lower the groove is cut finer permitting more music on the side.
But how does that differ from simply reducing signal volume prior to the cut?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
But how does that differ from simply reducing signal volume prior to the cut?
I gave you the nutshell answer. From

http://pure-analogue.com/de/die-bandmaschine/

Quote:
Why is the analogue delay so important now? In the early days of the record, the signal of the master tape was cut directly into the paint film. Due to the constant groove width, this resulted in only a limited play time per side. However, the groove width can be adjusted depending on the level of the signal and from the 1950s the so-called variable pitch was used when cutting paint films - so the running time of an LP could be increased by about 60%. Here, the advance of the cutting head of the cutting machine gets the information in time before the actual music signal to provide the level of the signal according to the paint film space for a reasonably wide groove available.
The music signal must therefore be delayed by exactly the time that the LP needs for half a turn. This so-called analog delay consists of two playback sound heads and a diversion over several roles and explains itself, if one looks at the course of the tape. Coming from the left-hand reel disc, the tape first reaches the first replay sound head, at which the signal for the cutting head drive is picked up. Thereafter, the tape passes over several pulleys before it reaches the second sound head for the music signal. The time required for this corresponds exactly to the time it takes for the LP to turn halfway through.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

avare, I know, and that's exactly what I asked for. Couldn't help wondering further though. Thanks for the details!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search