The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My Firestudio interface died, need advice on what to replace it with
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

My Firestudio interface died, need advice on what to replace it with

My home studio until now was based on a PreSonus FireStudio with a Digimax D8 preamp connected via ADAT to give me 16 total mic inputs. The FireStudio runs into a custom built PC via Firewire and I use Reaper as DAW. For outputs, I have 3 sets of monitors coming out of the FireStudio, plus a headphone amp, so I use at least 6 of the outputs on monitors and usually the main outs for headphones.

I went on vacation and came back to find my FireStudio is not working. I believe its the unit itself that's dead, as there were some severe lightning storms while I was gone. Unfortunately I dont have another Firewire device to test my 1394 card in my PC or the cable.

Im thinking to replace my FireStudio with a new (or used) interface, preferably on USB instead of Firewire. I also am considering going with something thats not PreSonus because I have a problem with the PreSonus Universal Control software where it loses saved settings after PC restarts, meaning I lose all my named monitor mixes and have to redo them. But if other PreSonus models have different software that doesn't have this problem, Id stick with PreSonus.

So Im looking for recommendations for replacing this FireStudio, while keeping the 8 inputs from my Digimax D8. I dont need all 16 inputs, I really only need 10. But I cant find a cheaper interface with fewer than 8 inputs that still have word clock in/out. Do I need word clock syncing, or can the outputs from the D8 go into line level inputs on a cheaper interface that has fewer mic preamps?

Whatever I end up with, I want to be able to configure different mixes for each set of monitors and want at least 10 mic preamps coming in (I do btw have a Presonus Tube Channel so I do have one standalone mic preamp I can throw in the mix)

Suggestions are very much appreciated! Also budget can vary but Id prefer to stick to the cheaper side, like under $500.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Take a look at the Tascam 16X08. Its got 8 mic preamps like your Presonus plus 8 line inputs which would allow you to keep using that preamp if you're using all 16 mics or you could use a combo of mics and line inputs. Its got 8 line outs too so running multiple sets of monitors or looping hardware is no problem.

You can dump using that ADAT too. It would simply be a redundant piece of gear. The Tascam can run everything via USB without a problem.
The Tascam uses Burr Brown preamps which are pretty good too, full flat frequency up to 22K. You can get 60dB gain out of them which is just barely enough for a ribbon mic if you work at it. Just about any other mics its no problem, plenty of gain. You should have at least 2 inputs which toggle between Line and instrument level too. Very handy for direct recording. Cant beat the price on the units either. Even new they are only $299. I saw some used ones the other day for $200. No one else comes close to that price for a 16 channel interface. The drivers are very reliable too.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Awesome, that's one of the models I was looking at but had reservations about whether Tascam had quality products or not. I have some Tascam headphones and theyre ok, but seemed like another Behringer type company that might be hit or miss. So I very much appreciate the feedback. I'll check out the details of that model. Sounds like it's what Im looking for.

So no issues with going from Digimax D8 outputs to the line inputs on the Tascam without having a word clock sync? I dont fully understand word clock, but I know I had to have it in sync between the D8 and FireStudio - I think I used the D8 as the clock source usually. But if thats not needed and I can go straight from D8 outputs to Tascam inputs, thats super easy, just gotta buy 8 new trs cables instead of the one adat cable.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I have the presonus 24/8 and use a Beringer preamp to ad 8 channels via adat no problem at all and it works fine for me. Just giving you another option. The pres on the presonus sound good to.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Does that interface use Universal Control, and if so, do you have any issues with your UC config being partially lost intermittently on reboots? I liked my firestudio mic pres which are probably the same as yours, but that issue with losing config drives me nuts. I know im not the only one because others have told me they have the same problem.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanitywonko View Post
Does that interface use Universal Control, and if so, do you have any issues with your UC config being partially lost intermittently on reboots? I liked my firestudio mic pres which are probably the same as yours, but that issue with losing config drives me nuts. I know im not the only one because others have told me they have the same problem.
I haven't had any trouble with mine. I've had it for about 6mos and the UC has been fine with mine.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

What model is it exactly if you dont mind? I couldnt find one called 24/8
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Theres a Studio 1824 model if that's what you mean?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Sorry presonus 1824 usb. I love mine

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search