The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Same studio monitors... but smaller?
Old 15th August 2019
Here for the gear

Same studio monitors... but smaller?

I’ve seen many people use 2 sets of monitors to mix on. I myself use two sets atm as well (presonus Eris 3.5’s, and jbl 305’s w/ sub). I’m going to upgrade my jbl’s soon and was looking at the Eve sc208’s. My question is not WHAT monitors to choose (there’s always an opinion) but IF there’s any evidence or experience of people ordering 2 sets of the SAME monitors but at different sizes? Such as the eve sc208’s and the sc203’s. I’m not eve happy but thought it could be a good discussion on using the same (but smaller) products. Thanks!
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear
I haven’t heard of anyone doing that. Usually, you want the second reference to be distinctly different from the first, to give you a different look at the mix. My second set are Avantone active MixCubes. The single driver in a small box gives me a very clear picture of the mids without a crossover, and the starved bass aspect lets you know if your lows disappear on smaller speakers.
Before I bought the Avantones, I had three different-sized two-way monitors, although not from the same manufacturer. Eventually, I decided the two smaller speakers weren’t worth listening to. They didn’t tell me anything much different than the #1 pair.
So I wouldn’t recommend trying it unless the second set could be sent back for a refund.
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Head

It would be wiser to buy one better pair of speakers instead of two pairs of inferior quality similar speakers.
Old 4 weeks ago
If you want two monitors, I think you should be going with different concepts, for example ribbons vs. full-range or near-field two-way vs. flush-mounted three-way.

I would also make sure that you invest at least what you spend on monitors on acoustic treatment (but no foam ).
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannburkard View Post
If you want two monitors, I think you should be going with different concepts, for example ribbons vs. full-range or near-field two-way vs. flush-mounted three-way.

I would also make sure that you invest at least what you spend on monitors on acoustic treatment (but no foam ).
Yes!! I actually designed some out of rockwool and burlap coffee bags they look great and work well!

Also Cat Alley, are you saying specifically the Eve’s are inferior, or in general why buy two sets of different sized mediocre monitors?

Thanks guys!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
but IF there’s any evidence or experience of people ordering 2 sets of the SAME monitors but at different sizes? Such as the eve sc208’s and the sc203’s. I’m not eve happy but thought it could be a good discussion on using the same (but smaller) products. Thanks!
Is there evidence of that? I never seen anyone do that. The norm that i have witnessed and heard of is to have a very high end set of monitors and then maybe a consumer 3 way pair or a cube or a cheaper pair of monitors. But never the same at a different size. That will not do anything for you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search