The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bit- & Samplerate Audio Recording
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Bit- & Samplerate Audio Recording

Hey Guys,

I´ve been teached back in the days that the common best way to record audio is using 16bit and 44.1 KHz so you don´t have to bother about Dithering and other issues you will have, also you will have to downgrade it back to these rates anyway in 95% of situations.

How do you feel about that? Does it make sense to record audio (excluding movies) at higher samplerates? Does it makes sense for the Mastering Guy? Please share your thoughts with me.

Best regards,
Ray
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
24 Bit depth wil give you more dynamic room what could come in handy when recording.
Sample rate is a choice depending in goal.

For editing audio more data could be use full.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

While 16bit is perfectly fine as a delivery medium, 24bit wordlength allows you a lot more room to breath in recording and mixing. It allows you to maintain ample headroom and do proper gain staging to find the sweet spot for your recording and processing chains.

While some DSP processing can sound better at higher sample rates, generally I think 44.1kHz is perfectly respectable for music production. And while proper dithering is largely inaudible, sample rate conversion is not and it costs more for quality conversion.

You should be aware that any digital signal processing done in a modern DAW will turn your 16 or 24 bit audio into 32 bit floating point, so dithering is always necessary as the last step when storing processed files in 16 or 24 bit wordlength - especially for 16bit!

Dithering is nothing to be afraid of and easy to do properly, but if you really want to avoid it you should store any intermediary files as 32bitFP.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGrauberger View Post
Hey Guys,

I´ve been teached back in the days that the common best way to record audio is using 16bit and 44.1 KHz so you don´t have to bother about Dithering and other issues you will have, also you will have to downgrade it back to these rates anyway in 95% of situations.

How do you feel about that? Does it make sense to record audio (excluding movies) at higher samplerates? Does it makes sense for the Mastering Guy? Please share your thoughts with me.

Best regards,
Ray
Common practice is

24bit/44.1kHz for standalone audio,

24bit/48kHz for audio to picture.

Dithering is not hard, and it's worth it to work at 24bit. 44.1 / 48 conversions are sometimes tricky so when possible it's best to work at the sample rate that the audio will be delivered at, however that is never a major problem either.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search