Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Monitor live while tracking direct to tape and audio interface

I have 3 different signal sources:

An Elektron Digitakt drummachine
A guitar running through a pedalboard
A Fender Rhodes

I would like all three to be sent to the following destinations simultaneously:

An amp (guitar amp and a keyboard amp for the Rhodes and the Digitakt)
A Tascam Portastudio tape recorder
An audio interface (Behringer UMC 1810)

The reason for this is to play live through the amps while tracking to the portastudio and the audio interface at the same time.

What would be the best way to do this?

I have a Behringer patchbay PX3000 but I am not sure if I can use it for this purpose? I had it set up to split the signals from the guitar pedalboard and the rhodes but it seems to degrade the signals quite a bit when i do that.

Any good ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Best gutterne
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
When you say that splitting the signal through your patchbay “degrades” the signal, what exactly do you mean? You will probably lose some level, but that by itself does not change the quality of the audio. Splitting should not degrade the signal to noise ratio of the signal, and the level can be adjusted as needed in the following equipment.
That is a best-case result if other factors don’t mess things up. There are possible complications beyond simple level loss and required make-up gain.
You aren’t doing this with all balanced line level studio equipment that is designed to send and receive signals with a predictable range of impedances and levels. You are doing this with equipment which has a wide variety of impedances and levels, both on the input and output side. It is possible that some of these interconnections will interact in a way that could change the frequency spectrum in any or all of the interconnected units.
There is also the possibility of grounding issues, hum and hash noise which might show up.
I’m not educated enough in electronics to predict or correct the problems you might have with the equipment you list. What I would do is make the connections and see what I get. If you want to compare the results, carefully match levels before “hearing” degradation. Your suspicions can easily color your impressions of what you hear, so try to be a fair judge of your results. Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterne View Post
I have 3 different signal sources:

An Elektron Digitakt drummachine
A guitar running through a pedalboard
A Fender Rhodes

I would like all three to be sent to the following destinations simultaneously:

An amp (guitar amp and a keyboard amp for the Rhodes and the Digitakt)
A Tascam Portastudio tape recorder
An audio interface (Behringer UMC 1810)

The reason for this is to play live through the amps while tracking to the portastudio and the audio interface at the same time.

What would be the best way to do this?

I have a Behringer patchbay PX3000 but I am not sure if I can use it for this purpose? I had it set up to split the signals from the guitar pedalboard and the rhodes but it seems to degrade the signals quite a bit when i do that.

Any good ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Best gutterne
There are a few ways to do this but I need a bit more info first. When you want to go to an amp to play live. Are you wanting to record the sound of the amp or are you wanting to record direct signals leaving the amp strictly for the performance aspect?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I guess the problem is that I am running instrument level signals to the patchbay and going from there to the amp and also to the interface after the patchbay. Maybe a small DI like the Mooer one would help? That way i can go directly from the pedalboard to the amp - and with the DI at the end of the chain also send a line level signal to the patchbay?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterne View Post
I guess the problem is that I am running instrument level signals to the patchbay and going from there to the amp and also to the interface after the patchbay. Maybe a small DI like the Mooer one would help? That way i can go directly from the pedalboard to the amp - and with the DI at the end of the chain also send a line level signal to the patchbay?
I would purchase 3 Morley ABC or ABC Pro pedals this will properly split the signal of each source into 3. Then i would get a multichannel di. There are several brands out there ranging in price. Put one abc pedal on each source then send one output of each to the respective amps and then the other 2 outs on each will feed a di. That gives you mic level signal for each channel of the porta studio and interface.

They way you are splitting it now with the paychbay isnt a line level signal it is a HiZ signal ie guitar signal. You need the di to convert it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That’s a $300 solution. Seems pricey compared to the level of the other equipment, but it would solve the interconnection problems.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
That’s a $300 solution. Seems pricey compared to the level of the other equipment, but it would solve the interconnection problems.
Know any other ways to do it right?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Maybe I’ll just buy three cheap passive DI boxes, send the through/link to the amp and the balanced signals to the patchbay?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
Know any other ways to do it right?
I am not sure he’s doing it wrong enough to warrant any expense at all. He hasn’t complained about hum, or any other indication of ground issues. If he does a level-corrected comparison of passive splits vs straight single connections and doesn’t hear any obvious problems, why go through transformers or extra circuitry?
“Stupid” solutions have the advantages of being cheap and simple. If the result sounds good, no one knows or should care how stupid your connections were.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search