The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Logic Pro X Overload
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Logic Pro X Overload

Quite often I'm getting this message pop up in Logic Pro X:

"The audio engine was unable to process all required data in time. You can try increasing the I/O buffer size Multithreading option at Logic Pro X"

I'm writing tracks that are mostly MIDI keyboards and synths, with the occasional granulator plugin or reverb but honestly not a lot of plugins.

I have a few questions related to this actually.

1. Is it harder for the CPU to process MIDI information rather than audio files? Most of the tracks are MIDI and I thought this might be causing it

2. Is it simply a case of my Imac not having the processing power to handle this kind of thing? I'm running Sierra on a late 2009 Imac 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo, Memory 8GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

3. Does changing the I/O buffer size really make a difference
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

1. No. Not as such. But if the midi track is “external” hence routing the output of the external synth back into Logic or you are using a very cpu hungry virtual instrument then yes. In that case I think a raw audio might be less resource hungry

2) yes. It helped a lot when I upgraded my mid 2011 iMac to 32 Gb ram. The more the better.

3) yes it should

May I suggest Reaper? I’m on Logic now after more than a decade using reaper. Logic is more... ehm... logic with a more streamlined and less cluttered UI. It has fewer options/possibilities. But it’s far more demanding on resources. Old projects that worked fine on a 15 year old PC with reaper is hard to run in Logic on a 2011 iMac with 8 Gb ram. Need 32 Gb and still I get drop outs once in a while.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Heck... I could have 16 midi tracks without issues on a PC back in 1997, but they were fed into a Roland rompler synth which was connected to the mixer and monitors. The PC didn’t have to process any audio. Just “read the midi instructions” and let the Roland do the audio. So it’s not Midi it self. It’s what you ask the computer to do with that midi.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoki971 View Post
"The audio engine was unable to process all required data in time. You can try increasing the I/O buffer size Multithreading option at Logic Pro X"

You should watch your Activity Monitor app, or install iStat Menus to see what's stressing your machine when you get the message. Also, can you confirm that this isn't a 'false flag' message caused my a slow/full HDD?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search