The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Speaker EQ Response
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Speaker EQ Response

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, so hope I'm doing everything right.

I have been trying to understand why some speakers seem to respond to EQ very well and others do not.

Example: When I mix on my stock earbuds which came with my phone, I can hear every EQ change I make to a track. When I put on a friends Beyerdynamic headphones, I can barely hear even large EQ changes to the same track.

Why is this? Why do some speakers/headphones respond really well to EQ and others seem to not?

Mike
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
I think it could be that "sweet spot" of mix is thinner in regular speakers. Once you step out from that sweet spot, you can hear it clearly. But small changes that keeps the sound still in sweet spot are harder to notice. I think these small adjustments inside the sweet spot are easier to hear with quality speakers/phones than with regular speakers/phones. That is probably why they are needed.

For example if you create strong bass line that goes close to limits of speakers, it can sound good in quality speakers. But once you listen you mix with those small boomboxes the bass line can be total dirt -ruinining your mix completely. After that you make small change in mix to make it sound good in boomboxes. But when you listen this change with quality speakers, you hardly notice any difference. That is because quality speakers kept you in sweet spot whole time, but boombox dropped you out of sweet spot until you fixed your mix.

Could this make sense?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply...

It does make sense, but I'm talking more about in real time... when I'm in my DAW making EQ adjustments, I can hear those adjustments clearly on my cheap headphones, but not so clearly on other headphones (even one's "made for editing").

I'm not talking about mixing down a song/track and then playing it on another speaker.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Well what I wrote actually is one explanation for that.

Other could be that regular speakers like iPhone earbuds are not flat response speakers. Some frequencies are boosted. Studio speakers are mostly quite flat. If the stuff you are eq:ing fits to this "boosted" area of speaker, then it would explain your experience. And this is a problem if you mix with non-flat response speakers. The mix will work only with speakers that have same response curve as the ones you used for mixing.

I use different speakers for different things. I have specific closed headphones for drums and synths. And really old headphones for guitar. For some reason these old ones sound most detailed in distorted stuff. But to balance the mix, I use flat response speakers.

While explaining this to you, I kinda realized something about why I do things the way I do. Never thought of it but yes, you might be right. Different speakers might have different response to changes of eq. Without realizing it completely I have used this effect to my advantage.

BTW. By no means I am experienced in mixing. I just try to understand these interesting phenomenoms like you are trying right now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search