The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Superior drummer mixing troubles?
Old 1 week ago
Superior drummer mixing troubles?

Anyone had the experience with superior drummer 3 where your drums drown out your cymbals? I have my set configured so I only have one fader to control my 'Overheads" so maybe that contributes, but I often notice my cymbals being lost in the background.

The faders in the mixer can't come up anymore, the bus is raised nearly all the way. I've resorted to adjusted the gain slider in the drum set view. I've tried to remix the set and apply some gain staging procedures to it, but they always sendup lost. Or overpoweringly loud. which is worse.

Anyone have any weird experiences with SD3?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieskiddlz View Post
The faders in the mixer can't come up anymore, the bus is raised nearly all the way....
The way you have it now, you might (?) be clipping.

Lower the faders in the mixer and lower the bus. You don't want to start with everything up all the way, or near to it.

Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
but I often notice my cymbals being lost in the background.

The faders in the mixer can't come up anymore,
If every drum is maxed out to ware you cannot raise it anymore, then the symbols will be lost.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
The way you have it now, you might (?) be clipping.

Lower the faders in the mixer and lower the bus. You don't want to start with everything up all the way, or near to it.

Cheers.
Is there some way to monitor that? My individual channels on the mixing page show me quite far from the red. Some of the faders are very high. But the dB meter shows the signal faaarrr from clipping. I have a feeling this is why certain elements of my kit get lost in the mix.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
You have the cymbals turned all the way up in Super Drummer 3's instrument view?

Old 22 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrixion View Post
You have the cymbals turned all the way up in Super Drummer 3's instrument view?

Sorry for the late reply, been out of state. But yes, in the instrument view, I click on the cymbal. Then on the right side, you have a horizontal slider. That slider is raised almost all the way on all the cymbals. The slider for every drum is sitting at unity, which is where they are by default when you load the samples. I raised the cymbal sliders until they sounded balanced against the drums.

From there, I went to the mixing view. Took all my faders to zero and started by raising my overheads. Brought them up to around -12dB. Then started adding in the drums. It sounds balanced, but very quickly the cymbals get buried under the drums. Especially once the instruments are added into the whole mix, then they really go away.

I figure the other tracks need some EQ to pull out some room for the high end, but even before the other instruments come in the drum mix is always either cymbals too quiet, or I turn the drums down, and the cymbals are too loud. I didn't have this problem with EZDrummer or Steven Slate Drums so I'm not really sure how to fix it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search