The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Fixing Skype Distortion?
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

Question Fixing Skype Distortion?

I'm helping someone to record an interview on Skype for a podcast.
For a test run, we recorded on reaper as well as on Skype using the same input simultaneously.
However, Skype recording sometimes has distortion that sounds like clipping. On Reaper, the signal was clean, and there was no clipping indicator during the test recording.
Output for Reaper and Skype is set to built-in output. However, Reaper is set for no monitoring, so it doesn't output anything while recording.
Also I'm just using Skype built-in recording function to record, and I'm not routing Skype output to somewhere else.
What would be the cause for Skype recording to distort, and is there a way to fix?
I tried RX elements declip, but it doesn't really work. Maybe it's because either Skype recording has low lossy audio compression signal, or distortion I hear is not really clipping.
Thanks!
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
For a test run, we recorded on reaper as well as on Skype using the same input simultaneously.
However, Skype recording sometimes has distortion that sounds like clipping. On Reaper, the signal was clean, and there was no clipping indicator during the test recording.
You are using the same input, but are you using the same outputs for Reaper and Skype? Maybe the output that is going to record the Skype one is hotter and is clipping. i do not know the gain stages involved, but im sure that is ware your problem lies
Old 11th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You are using the same input, but are you using the same outputs for Reaper and Skype? Maybe the output that is going to record the Skype one is hotter and is clipping. i do not know the gain stages involved, but im sure that is ware your problem lies
Thanks for your response.
Both Reaper and Skype output is set to built-in output. However, Reaper is set for no monitoring, so it doesn't output anything while recording.
Also I'm just using Skype built-in recording function to record, and I'm not routing Skype output to somewhere else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search