The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie audio engineering tutorials?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Newbie audio engineering tutorials?

Please recommend favourite, well-written primers on audio engineering! Well-written as for example the Rane tech notes. Text, pdf, or sites would be good, but good videos or channels also welcome.

This is for somebody who might be interested in helping me finish my studio and then record in it. I have a good working knowledge of these topics and I can explain technical things to someone who has context but I am not a good teacher!

Especially interested in engineering and recording rather than mixing and production. Balanced/unbalanced signals, mics, gain staging, &c.!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not sure what you mean by "audio engineering" as that normally applies to not just recording but mixing, mastering, etc. It sounds like you're only interested in someone learning about recording? (Not sure what "finish my studio" means exactly) Anyway the "Home Recording for Dummies" book might be a good place to start (they can just read the recording parts or whatever else you think they need) for the basics. i'm sure others will chime in with more - I'll search my archives, I should have another link or two somewhere.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Suggested reading:

The Recording Engineer's Handbook - by Bobby Owsinski
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998503304

Recording Secrets for the Small Studio - by Mike Senior
--------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0415716705
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is a simple but nice recap of mics FYI - their types, uses, patterns, etc. https://www.gearank.com/articles/types-of-mics
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

JohnDrake: Cool, thank you. They look like books that *I* should read

bill5: A dummies book is probably the level I was thinking. I didn't have a clear idea of what I was asking at the time. I'm still building a home studio (now wiring and acoustics) and the person that I live with is somewhat interested in what's going on, and in recording. I try to explain things in a joined-up way, and get in a muddle. After I posted I realised that I had in mind a picture of the physical transmission of sound, it's capture, processing, recording, reproduction, and re-transmission from the point of view of an audio engineer (and in the home-studio sense, the home-studio builder). If someone had laid the story out elegantly in a text file then I'd be home! Thank you for the mics link! And yes, not so interested in production topics at the moment as distinct from recording-engineering (inasmuch as that's possible oh jeez here we go).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, depends on what knowledge if any they have. If zero, then definitely dummies-level Nothing wrong with that. Tons of stuff on the net too, he/she might try some simple internet searches since what one person finds well written others may not. Good luck
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you, that is good advice!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I would recomment a book written by Wessel Oltheten: Mixing with impact

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search