The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal sounds to boxy
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Vocal sounds to boxy

Hey, I can’t seem to get my vocals to blend right with a mix at all I’ve been listening to some g eazy/ logic vocals they all sound like they take out ALOT of low range like up in the 200 to 1000 hz ranges to make them sound professional and not at all boxy or muddy listening to my own vocal mixes they always sound too bassy and muddy and not clear I’ve tried eqing out alot of low range and it always starts sounding to harsh/ thin to even hear it in the mix and I have no idea is there something I’m missing with the eq. It’s not a issue of adding delays reverb compression ect it simply seems I cannot eq the muddiness out of a vocal without it becoming too thin sounding where you barely hear the words if there is anything to suggest if you want references just listen to g eazy must be nice album or logics under pressure album any help would be appreciated
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Post a clip, or no one can really help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Agreed.

Also, try to not type in run on sentences. Makes it hard to read your post that way. Use periods when necessary, and the return key as well.

I can almost guarantee it's your room. Where are you recording this? Home studios/basements/bedrooms tend to sound boxy, b/c that is what they are.

Cheers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rCpoMFbDAdM
Is what I’m trying to get too the vocals sound not boxy you can hear every word and it sounds on top of the beat

Vs something sounding like this at 2 minute mark I found it on YouTube but gives the same demonstration it sounds really boxy and Infront of your face instead of above the beat I just can’t get that boxy infront of your face sounding out of the mix

https://youtu.be/LSE5My3x6to
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Agreed.

Also, try to not type in run on sentences. Makes it hard to read your post that way. Use periods when necessary, and the return key as well.

I can almost guarantee it's your room. Where are you recording this? Home studios/basements/bedrooms tend to sound boxy, b/c that is what they are.

Cheers.
Recording in a room about 3x5 with foam on the walls, and a sound shield behind the mic, what would you suggest I do to further treat the room and the mic so it would sound better, thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Agreed.

Cheers.
Yep... and lets say your room has a bump at 200 Hz the mic can pick that up. If your mixing in that same room the amount of 200Hz bump on the vocal track gets magnified again. Try recording in another room.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen l t View Post
post a clip, or no one can really help.
MEANiNG A CLIP OF YOU, THE OP SINGING
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
Yep... If your mixing in that same room the amount of 200Hz bump on the vocal track gets magnified again.
err umm why??

if the mix room has too much 200 hz projecting one would tend to REMOVE 200 hz with eq
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
err umm why??

if the mix room has too much 200 hz projecting one would tend to REMOVE 200 hz with eq
Yes, but (using 200 Hz as an example freq) if you're recording in a room with a 200 Hz bump, that will be recorded. If your mixing in the same room, your still getting a bump on the playback even though you're removing some bump with an EQ of the recorded material. Like someone suggested before... get the room right before using a bunch of EQ.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxolly View Post
Recording in a room about 3x5 with foam on the walls, and a sound shield behind the mic, what would you suggest I do to further treat the room and the mic so it would sound better, thank you.
As Jeff mentioned, I did mean post a clip of your vocals, recorded in your room.

But his diagnosis of the room being the problem is very likely to be right. Foam may reduce the ringing in a room if, say, you clap - but gets progressively less effective below 1k, and has virtually no absorption at 200 hz and below, which is a real problem for male (and even female) vocals.

Same goes for reflection filters.

So, yeah, as long as you're recording in a smallish domestic room, vocals will sound boxy - until you get a serious amount of broad-band absorption on the walls, such as the Rockwool based panels by GIK, or DIY equivalent.

All the EQ in the world can't compensate for a boxy-sounding room - trying to EQ out the baked-in room problem areas will have too much adverse affect on the sound of the vocal itself.

Found this out the hard way, myself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Get the vox to sound as good as they can, and then mix other elements around it to make it fit.
Old 1 week ago
You need to look into 'Complimentary EQ Techniques' and apply them onto every single tack in your mix. This will clear up a lot of issues in your mix and get rid of unwanted frequencies that have no placer in the mix. Also make a space for each instrument in the mix, so that its fits in its own 3D frequency filed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
Get the vox to sound as good as they can, and then mix other elements around it to make it fit.
this is the Tony Bongiovi method which is different than 90% of mixers approach which is...get the track right and fit the vocal

to each their own as long as they get where they are going efficiently
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

buy an isolator ...like a Kaotica Eyeball or one it's "the same but cheaper" knockoffs ...i mix outside stuff and a few clients dd vocals in crap spaces and got good results with them
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
this is the Tony Bongiovi method which is different than 90% of mixers approach which is...get the track right and fit the vocal

to each their own as long as they get where they are going efficiently
I should add that this isn't what I would normally do but since the OP is having trouble sitting the VOX in the mix, this approach might work for him.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
I should add that this isn't what I would normally do but since the OP is having trouble sitting the VOX in the mix, this approach might work for him.
Getting eye surgery so can't see well sorry if typos but again..it's what gets you there ..for me. tony did a mix at the power station on his niece..I did one in Philly ( she was signed To a production company that included sigma and power station) ..she SUCKED ..I mixed for the song he mixed for her sound..he and others did a blind test..I won ..that's some sad ****....but SHE SUCKED.. period.. generally.. and I know the GS miscreants chant .."no rules" ..BUT..it's best to cut the track and then fill/add the vox..and I know I added 2 variables..but again I'm from ...the track is the bed that the singer sprouts from

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search