The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Choosing between these headphones for Mixing/Mastering
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Choosing between these headphones for Mixing/Mastering

Hey everyone, first timer here!

I'm trying to figure out what headphones to get in for mixing/mastering. I know it's not comparable to studio monitors but atm it's the only thing I can get. From what I've read there are a few quite cheap options that sound okay to work with.

- Beyerdynamic DT770 / DT990 Pro
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
- Sony MDR-7506
- Sennheiser HD-280

Would you recommend any of these to mix and master? If not, any other better options available? Bear in mind my budget is tight and logistics aren't great right now for me to get monitors.

Thank you in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The only pair you've listed that I have extensive experience with are the AT-m50x, which I love for field production monitoring, for musicians in studio, and casual listening, but they'd be pretty hard to mix on. Whatever you choose, I definitely suggest doing the month long demo of Sonarworks headphone correction software. I didn't like it the first time I tried, but now I find it indispensable for mixing on headphones. I go back and forth between hd800 and m50x, but the vast majority of my headphone mixing is done on the hd800's. Don't forget to consider how comfortable each pair may be on your head and ears, especially if you'll be using them for long stretches of time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Definitely NOT the 280s. I have two pairs for tracking, and they're great for that. But they are not a headphone you'd want to mix on. Limited bass extension, and extremely tight - great for bleed, not great for extended use.

The pair I bought to spot-check my mixes on were the AKG 702s. Super comfy, and great value, as they've been around a while. Open back, which is kind of what you want.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe because I'm so used to them, but I still use the Sony MDR-7506s. I have many pairs. I've been tempted to try the Audio-Technica ATH-M60x.

Adding... again, maybe because I'm so used to them, I have mixed on the 7506 when I had no other option with good results.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonelli View Post
Hey everyone, first timer here!

I'm trying to figure out what headphones to get in for mixing/mastering. I know it's not comparable to studio monitors but atm it's the only thing I can get. From what I've read there are a few quite cheap options that sound okay to work with.

- Beyerdynamic DT770 / DT990 Pro
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
- Sony MDR-7506
- Sennheiser HD-280
Granted they aren't top end but these are not "cheap" options and they are all more than "OK." They are all highly-regarded headphones FYI. However I think all of these are closed back, and if you're sure you're only going to mix/master and not use them for tracking, I wouldn't advise. Get open back.

If you're dead set on one of these, honestly you can ask 100 people and get 100 diff replies. For every person who says X is amazing, Y will say avoid at all costs.

I personally am not a fan of the ATHs although they are very good quality, because they have a boost in the bass which I hate and IMO makes no sense. Studio headphones by definition are supposed to give a neutral, honest sound. The others I have not tried enough to feel qualified to speak to (and have put a purchase on hold anyway).

If at all possible, find a place where you can try these out. That's the only way to know what will work best for you. FWIW
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
My stuff translates mixed on a K701. It’s so big that you don’t have a lot of the congestion of most headphones.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I own all of the headphones you’ve listed, except the Beyer.
I agree with bill5 that the AT is bumped on the low end in a way that makes them somewhat unreliable in getting your low end into that “sounds at least OK on any system” range.
And I agree with Owen in rejecting the 280 for mixing, but for the opposite of the reason he gives. While they are not bumped obviously on the low end, they have so much extension on the low end (down to 10 hz or so if I’m not misremembering) that I spent far too much time “fixing” things in the extreme bottom that weren’t audible to anyone else. They are also heavy, the coiled cord tends to kink, and they aren’t very efficient.
The Sony you reference is a very old design, but it is a very neutral and honest, light, fairly comfortable phone. I actually mixed some audio for video in someone’s garage using 7506 and a pair of PA speakers (which I didn’t trust at all). Those mixes weren’t bad, and I would pick the 7506 if I were offered the four choices you give.
The ATs are more impressive to listen to and have both more thump and sparkle, but I mix better on the Sony’s... or the very cheap Sennheiser 202, which may not be a current Sennheiser model.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just like with every monitor, you have to learn headphones too. IMHO you can learn to mix on any of these headphones given enough time and desire. I suggest you find the closest music store that carries most of these and go test them for yourself with music you are familiar with, then pick what works best for you and learn that pair inside and out.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The ATs are more impressive to listen to and have both more thump and sparkle, but I mix better on the Sony’s... or the very cheap Sennheiser 202, which may not be a current Sennheiser model.
Current schmurrent: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...gateway&sr=8-1

Ever used the 201s? Similar?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Current schmurrent: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...gateway&sr=8-1

Ever used the 201s? Similar?
No, haven’t tried them. I would assume they’re in the same ballpark as the 202, but you probably know what is said about “assume”.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Know? Hell I'm a picture postcard of it
Old 1 day ago
Seems to me if you can mix and master on the 7506, and your mixes translate, your ears are tuned as far as working on cans.
They are not flattering, not very comfy (but that is probably for the best, since ears need several breaks w/ HP mixing) after long hours, and you may have a tendancy to let an excess amount of sub through. To me, they have no curve at all, which I prefer, and good on revealing harsh mids.
It's difficult to give HP suggestions as they seem as personal as footwear.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
Seems to me if you can mix and master on the 7506, and your mixes translate, your ears are tuned as far as working on cans.
They are not flattering
Which is kinda the point of "studio headphones." i.e., a true, honest sound.
I will never get how a company can market headphones as studio headphones when they don't give this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search