The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's your method for monitoring the mic of a cab in the room with you?
Old 1 week ago
What's your method for monitoring the mic of a cab in the room with you?

I'm wondering how you go about actually hearing what you're miking when the source is a guitar cab. How do you manage to get your headphones to give you an accurate picture of what the mic hears? The cabinet is loud enough to drown out any real unbiased opinions in the room.

Do you only have the option of really good isolation headphones? The set I have does not do this but I question whether a good pair would be beneficial in this situation. The cab is just so loud. I can't see a headphone being able to delineate between the two well enough.

Reason I ask is currently, I'm placing a mic, then recording a take over and over again while moving the mic each time and it does get old doing it that way. I know it would be easier to just use the mic to determine its placement live.
Old 1 week ago
You need to record a snippet - listen and then adjust. You can't do it while playing - the amp drastically affects what you hear even through isolation headphones.what you hear while you are playing is a blend of room tone and miced source, it usually sounds heavier.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieskiddlz View Post
How do you manage to get your headphones to give you an accurate picture of what the mic hears?
You can't. But the upside is that if the amp is loud enough and the mic is close enough, you might not even need headphones. I overdub electric guitars all the time with the monitors up. There can be a little bleed, but I think it's actually a benefit.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You can't. But the upside is that if the amp is loud enough and the mic is close enough, you might not even need headphones. I overdub electric guitars all the time with the monitors up. There can be a little bleed, but I think it's actually a benefit.
But then he'll have no idea what his miced source actually sounds like since's he's hearing amp and monitors mixed together in the room.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
But then he'll have no idea what his miced source actually sounds like since's he's hearing amp and monitors mixed together in the room.
Well yeah, a bit of test-tracking and playing back and self-critiquing is part of the process, too. Didn't feel like I needed to state the obvious.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A metal engineer back in the day told me the best way to find the sweet spot on an amp is crank it up without anything plugged in (just the internal broadband noise) and move the mic until the character of the noise sounds good to you. I never gave it a try but this might work in your situation.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
That's what I do. Turn the amp up without them playing. With headphones on, move the mic till the buzz is the loudest, finding the hot spot in the speaker. Where the noise is is also where the good sound is.

Amps don't need to be loud to capture a good sound. A single speaker amp at a decent volume typically gives me the best results.

The right headphones help. I would use headphones that had liquid filled ear pads for good isolation. This was before the bose noise canceling headphones existed. Now that I am getting back into it, I may give the bose headphones a try for personal isolation.

The point being, use headphones designed for isolation. Sure it does not block everything, But enough to make a mic placement decision and hear phase when placing multiple mic's. After a few 1000 hours of tracking and mixing you learn to pick what you are listening too even in a 32 track mix. Or in this case, the sound in the headphones vs the sound in the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search