The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Massive Project 102 Tracks + Returns
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Massive Project 102 Tracks + Returns

Hi guys,

Currently I ran into a problem which hopefully didn’t fry my Mac: I am working on a track which has 102 tracks in it.

Because of that size and some unknown problems my CPU doesn’t allow me to mix it down right now. I tried to export it into individual tracks, no biggie. But I have returnchannels active on about 1/3 of the tracks. When I click Export Indidivual Tracks in Ableton Live I can activate „with individual returnchannels“(or so). Now those 102 tracks become about 250 tracks. What are my options to not have to deal with 50 GB in individual files?

The problem is I can not just use one Returnchannels because of lack of mixing. What I did in EQ and compression were simple fixes to not resonances, a cluttered low-end, volume spikes etc.

Please help me. My computer rendered the whole night until I realized my Mac will spit out THAT much data which I still could not properly handle in the end.

Greetings,
WindIsComing
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Premixing. Two ways to do this.

Try splitting the project into several narrower projects of 15 to 20 tracks each, along with the effects returns required for those specific tracks. Then mix those down, creating a single stereo submix (assuming your final mix will be stereo).

When all tracks have been premixed, create a new project and put all the premixed submixes in that to mix down the final mix.

In each premix project, group similar tracks together to make it easier. Be sure to always write all automation. That way, if you get to the final mix stage and hear something on a submix that needs changing, you can do that easily.

On the other hand, if the problem is that you can't render the final mix, but can mix it into automation, then mix it into automation only, that way.

When finished, make multiple copies of the session file (not the audio files). Delete different trscks from each copy, so that each track appears in only one session file. Then render your stereo premixes.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventil View Post
Premixing. Two ways to do this.

(...)

On the other hand, if the problem is that you can't render the final mix, but can mix it into automation, then mix it into automation only, that way.
First of all, thank you!

But yeah, my problem is I can‘t render the individual files right now.

I tried to but my Mac exported about 12 hours(140% CPU) and got 60% of the Export done, so no chance.

I guess I have to record every return-channel of its own into a new audio track and try to export this. Do you see any other possibility of doing this?

Edit: reread it and will try.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search