The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
...Focusrite Scarlett 212 gen 1 - should I upgrade to gen 3
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

...Focusrite Scarlett 212 gen 1 - should I upgrade to gen 3

Hi

I own a Focusrite Scarlett 212 gen 1 and was wondering is it worth it for me to upgrade to the gen 3?

My needs are modest and I'm wondering if I will notice a significant benefit from upgrading to the gen 3.

I am not a professional musician but I'm a pretty good player.
I play my Strat through my gen 1 212.
I use S-Gear 2 amplifier software.
I am also starting to do some simple recording - acoustic guitar, voice, electric guitar.

I'm wondering, should I upgrade to the gen 3 or am I fine with my gen 1 212?

Many thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Coming back to 1st gen after using other interfaces, and you realize that the noise floor is literally enough to be heard as a "tape noise" effect. Sometimes i keep it around for esoteric tracking, but for the most part, no reason to keep using it with modern gear. even my older interfaces with VIA chips are better than the 1st gen and thats saying a lot.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nope. You'll be fine with the 1st gen one. All modern interfaces are pretty quiet, and the Scarlett is no exception. The noise EIN of the 1st gen is -127dB and of 3rd is -128dB. That's just NOT going to make any difference.

With proper usage - ie, having the gain set correctly - there is simply no way that the noise floor of an older Scarlett generates anything even in the ballpark of "tape hiss". I should know; I tracked a sample library through one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search