The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Difference between in ear and around ear reference headphones?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Difference between in ear and around ear reference headphones?

Hello! Which headphones gives the most accurate sound for mixing and mastering? And what is the difference between in ear and around ear reference headphones?

Regards Mikey Likey
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If itt's in ear,, then it's not really headphones. I'd be surprised iif any ear buds were appropriate for mixing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
The accuracy of headphones is a subject that has been argued endlessly on Gearslutz. There isn’t one answer to your question as to which headphone is the most accurate. There are a number of extremely expensive headphones making claims to accuracy, but they vary in design, sound, and fit. There are also a number of not so expensive headphones that get mentioned as being useful in getting translatable mixes.
So... how much do you want to spend, what kind(s) of music are you mixing, and do you have other references(monitors, earbuds, whatever)?

Last edited by Bushman; 1 week ago at 03:23 AM.. Reason: Numbers are not letters
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
The accuracy of headphones is a subject that has been argued endlessly on Gearslutz. There isn’t one answer to your question as to which headphone is the most accurate. There are a number of extremely expensive headphones making claims to accuracy, but they vary in design, sound, and fit. There are also a number of not so expensive headphones that get mentioned as being useful in getting translatable mixes.
So... how much do you want to spend, what kind(s) of music are you mixing, and do you have other references(monitors, earbuds, whatever)?
Hello Bushman, yeah I will be using monitors on the daytime and headphones mostly in the nighttime.

Price does not really matter, I want the best. Im making and mixing trap/rnb/hiphop/pop music so low end accuracy is important for me.

Regards Michael
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikey View Post
Price does not really matter,...
Well, you could try the Sennheiser Orpheus/HE 1, seem to be okay.
Or if you prever in ear the oBravo EAMT-1s.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Price does not really matter, I want the best.
If price does not matter, Focal Stellia. I can’t afford them, but maybe you can.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
If price does not matter, Focal Stellia. I can’t afford them, but maybe you can.
Definitely checking them out, thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Definitely checking them out, thanks!
The Sennheiser Orpheus system costs $50,000, but the few who have heard it seem to think it is the best.
It includes a tube amp embedded in a marble block (not kidding) and takes about 30 minutes to fully warm the tubes.
Do you still not care what it costs? I mastered an album for a Kuwaiti crown prince who had that exact same attitude. He drove a different exotic sports car to the studio every day for the five days he came in.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The Sennheiser Orpheus system costs $50,000, but the few who have heard it seem to think it is the best.
It includes a tube amp embedded in a marble block (not kidding) and takes about 30 minutes to fully warm the tubes.
Do you still not care what it costs? I mastered an album for a Kuwaiti crown prince who had that exact same attitude. He drove a different exotic sports car to the studio every day for the five days he came in.
Thanks Im gonna check it out!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks Im gonna check it out!
Sure you will! I’m going to check out commuting in a Lamborghini. Let’s get back in touch when we’ve done those things.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I have been lucky enough to hear most of my mixes (which i mastered myself) on Sirius XM, FM Radio, and internet radio shows. Obviously all the streaming apps too. My advice is to get the Shure SE215 Sound Isolating Earphones. 3 reasons:
1. If your stuff sounds good to you on them, you're probably on the right track.
2. They're earbuds! You can listen to them anywhere.
3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, they are built to last. Ive had mine for almost 2 years and not a single issue. Ive gotten them caught on counters, my dog rips them out of my ears on a daily basis when jumping on me, Ive even dropped them in my coffee once. They STILL work perfectly. So why is this so important? Because I know them like the back of my hand. How many people can say they've had the same earbuds for over a year? Yes knowing your monitors and mixing headphones is very important. But having the same pair of really good earbuds for years is a huge advantage. Why shouldn't you listen to your own work on the same thing you listen to Spotify, Podcasts, Youtube, etc?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sure you will! I’m going to check out commuting in a Lamborghini. Let’s get back in touch when we’ve done those things.
Nice! Tell me what you think ?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I would not waste a minute of my time trying to "mix" on in-ears.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I would not waste a minute of my time trying to "mix" on in-ears.
I’ve used in-ears for some rough mixes of live recordings when I had to at venues and rehearsal studios. Generally, they aren’t comparable to my best mixes, but they haven’t ever been as bad as my worst studio mixes. My takeaway is that decent in-ears can be somewhat misleading as to critical balances and best stereo placement, but they are never as wrong on the low end as decent speakers in certain untreated rooms have been. My experience is that “not bad” is high praise for an in-ears mix.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I’ve used in-ears for some rough mixes of live recordings when I had to at venues and rehearsal studios.
OK, but I think the OP is proposing using them at his studio, when he doesn't "have to".

Quote:
but they are never as wrong on the low end as decent speakers in certain untreated rooms have been.
But since money is clearly no object to him, nice speakers and a well-treated room would run only a fraction of the cost of some of those really high-end cans.

Last edited by joeq; 6 days ago at 08:51 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=joeq;14145668]
Quote:
I’ve used in-ears for some rough mixes of live recordings when I had to at venues and rehearsal studios. /QUOTE]

OK, but I think the OP is proposing using them at his studio, when he doesn't "have to".

But since money is clearly no object to him, nice speakers and a well-treated room would run only a fraction of the cost of some of those really high-end cans.
Oh... OK, I replied about the real world, but the OP clearly is of a different world. I stand corrected.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search