The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Loudness when recording speech
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Loudness when recording speech

Hi,

i am recording speech / stories for my daughters tonie (tonies.com, if anyone is interested in the product). The way the box works is, that you can record your own audio and it will play it alongside with professionally recorded audio.

Now, the problem is, that my recordings are very very quiet, in comparison to the bought stories. Even after post processing the audio with audacity, it is still very quiet in comparison. It sounds just right when i play it, but when a tonie song or story starts playing, it just blows my ears away in comparison.

How am i going to compete with that without destroying my audio? I am not aiming for a professional grade quality, but the recording should be at least noise free and sound somewhat natural.

What i did:

Record a track with a Rode VideoMic Me on my Android smartphone with the app "Field Recorder". I tried to set the input gain to a level where it was shortly before -5 db on the max.

Post process with audacity:
- Compressor
- Increase bass
- Normalize
- Amplify (i allowed limiting) a few db

Can you tell me how to increase the loudness of my recordings without creating clipping?

Thany you very much in advance =)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Make sure you read with less dynamics if you already have "too much" of a dynamic range in your reads. This basically means don't alternate between very soft and very loud. Instead try to make that range a bit more narrow.

You can probably skip the step of normalizing if you are peaking at -5dBFS when recording.

I would EQ first, making sure to cut out any frequency you don't need (since it could trigger compression). Then I would compress once or twice (different settings if you're using two compressors in series). As you compress you'll need to apply makeup gain to compensate. You can add another EQ to just correct or smoothly balance your voice. Lastly you'd use a limiter or a maximizer with a limiting function built-in. Set the output ceiling to -0.5dBFS True Peak and just increase the amount of processing until you get the loudness you need.

If you end up with a noisy signal then as I said first speaking with less range is better, and of course speaking louder is better as far as staying above the noise goes. If that doesn't help then either de-noise afterwards or change your recording chain.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Okay, i will try that!

I think "less dynamic" is the key here, probably the limiter too. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen2718 View Post
Okay, i will try that!

I think "less dynamic" is the key here, probably the limiter too. Thanks!
But, definitely use some EQ as mattiasnyc suggests. Start with a high pass filter set to about 150 Hz, 12 or even 18 dB/octave.

The little speaker in the Tonie box won't have much response below this, but those frequencies will take up a lot of "room" in your recording.

Don't be afraid to use what appears to be pretty drastic compression. You may need to tweak settings to get it to sound natural. If you read with less dynamics, you can set the compressor ratio to a lower slope, and the threshold lower, so the compressor is working pretty much all the time.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Its really loud now =)

Thank you two for helping. My daughter is listening to the recordings all the time, if this goes on, i will have to buy a better mic. I find the difference in quality between my recordings and the studio productions a little bit annoying :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search