The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Outboard analogue gear to audio interface
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Outboard analogue gear to audio interface

So I've been doing a bit of research lately before I ask a relatively stupid question. So if I had an audio interface with say, 8 outputs and 8 inputs, and I wanted to use it with outboard gear to send audio to a compressor or something, and back into my DAW, how would I go about doing that? (I don't have outboard gear or an interface with any outputs, this is just a question for the future).

Would I set up my daw to route audio to an output of my interface, use the output to send audio to the outboard gear, and send the outboard gear audio back into an input of the interface where I create a separate track to receive the input for monitoring and/or recording?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Yes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
If you are talking about re-tracking through analogue stuff, you need to make sure you hit a High-impedance stage as you go through the outboard gear. For instance, if you dont use high impedance until you go back into the interface, you won't get the proper effects from the gear. The signal that comes from your PC will already be analogue by the time it hits whatever you route it to(and interfaces are ADCs, not DACs). Also keep in mind, that retracking through mono gear requires that your signal be mono too, otherwise you'll only process the Left signal in a stereo signal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by EisaMo View Post
If you are talking about re-tracking through analogue stuff, you need to make sure you hit a High-impedance stage as you go through the outboard gear. For instance, if you dont use high impedance until you go back into the interface, you won't get the proper effects from the gear. The signal that comes from your PC will already be analogue by the time it hits whatever you route it to(and interfaces are ADCs, not DACs). Also keep in mind, that retracking through mono gear requires that your signal be mono too, otherwise you'll only process the Left signal in a stereo signal.
The “high impedance” advice here only applies to some guitar pedals and stomp boxes. “Outboard gear” as a studio term usually refers to line level devices expecting and sending (usually) a +4 range of levels at line impedance, which is not “high impedance” as the term is used for guitar DIs, for example. The outboard gear is usually balanced, although a few popular outboard units are unbalanced.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Yes, this is what I am talking about. I already know how to deal with high impedance stuff. I have a radial pro DI box for my guitar before it hits my interface. I was referring to the "outboard gear" studio term, which I understand now. Thanks for the replies :D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search