The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Outboard analogue gear to audio interface
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear
Outboard analogue gear to audio interface

So I've been doing a bit of research lately before I ask a relatively stupid question. So if I had an audio interface with say, 8 outputs and 8 inputs, and I wanted to use it with outboard gear to send audio to a compressor or something, and back into my DAW, how would I go about doing that? (I don't have outboard gear or an interface with any outputs, this is just a question for the future).

Would I set up my daw to route audio to an output of my interface, use the output to send audio to the outboard gear, and send the outboard gear audio back into an input of the interface where I create a separate track to receive the input for monitoring and/or recording?
Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear
Yes.
Old 9th August 2019
Deleted 4373f97
If you are talking about re-tracking through analogue stuff, you need to make sure you hit a High-impedance stage as you go through the outboard gear. For instance, if you dont use high impedance until you go back into the interface, you won't get the proper effects from the gear. The signal that comes from your PC will already be analogue by the time it hits whatever you route it to(and interfaces are ADCs, not DACs). Also keep in mind, that retracking through mono gear requires that your signal be mono too, otherwise you'll only process the Left signal in a stereo signal.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 4373f97 View Post
If you are talking about re-tracking through analogue stuff, you need to make sure you hit a High-impedance stage as you go through the outboard gear. For instance, if you dont use high impedance until you go back into the interface, you won't get the proper effects from the gear. The signal that comes from your PC will already be analogue by the time it hits whatever you route it to(and interfaces are ADCs, not DACs). Also keep in mind, that retracking through mono gear requires that your signal be mono too, otherwise you'll only process the Left signal in a stereo signal.
The “high impedance” advice here only applies to some guitar pedals and stomp boxes. “Outboard gear” as a studio term usually refers to line level devices expecting and sending (usually) a +4 range of levels at line impedance, which is not “high impedance” as the term is used for guitar DIs, for example. The outboard gear is usually balanced, although a few popular outboard units are unbalanced.
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear
Yes, this is what I am talking about. I already know how to deal with high impedance stuff. I have a radial pro DI box for my guitar before it hits my interface. I was referring to the "outboard gear" studio term, which I understand now. Thanks for the replies :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I have similar question

I made an account just to ask this question, lol. I have a similar situation, and I didn't know where to post, or how to I suppose.
I record my drums with a Profire2626, and that goes to my PC where I do my recording and mixing with Reaper.
I recently got a ACP88 thinking that it would be easy to add effects to all my drums, but I don't know how I would hook it up.
I'm using all 8 XLR inputs for drum mics. There are 8 Line Outputs. If I hook those to the ACP88 inputs, how do I get from the outputs back to the profire2626?

I seem to be missing a key piece of knowledge because I don't see many other people asking this sort of question. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperspacer View Post
I made an account just to ask this question, lol. I have a similar situation, and I didn't know where to post, or how to I suppose.
How to post on Gearslutz?

Quote:
I'm using all 8 XLR inputs for drum mics. There are 8 Line Outputs. If I hook those to the ACP88 inputs, how do I get from the outputs back to the profire2626?
As all analog inputs are used you need extra analog inputs.
You could use something like a digimax d8.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Don’t use the ACP88 on the recording step. Once you have your tracks in Reaper unplug your mics and route the tracks from the outputs of the ProFire to the inputs of the ACP88 then take the outputs of the ACP88 back to the inputs of the ProFire and record new tracks. You can save some cabling and time if you route the original tracks to a bus in Reaper then send that bus out to the ACP88 and do what I said above.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for the valuable input BT64 and MrKahuna. For now, I think I will add the ACP88 after the recording phase to test and play around with it. Then down the road I know how to add more inputs to my interface. I have so much more to learn about how to use my interface properly
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If at some point you get bored of plugging/unplugging stuff you'd normally look at expanding your input count by using an adat expander.
The 2626 has two adat ports which means you can add an extra 16 channels of inputs and outputs.

You'd look at the ADA8200 for a good inexpensive option and there's loads of others to choose from if you want to spend more.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I had also found the ADA8200 to be an option of expansion. Would adding another 2626 be a better option over the ADA8200? I recently found one locally and was thinking of picking it up because I'm using all inputs in mine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I had also found the ADA8200 to be an option of expansion.
No problem, will work fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search