The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is this too loud
Old 1 week ago
Deleted df98c51
Is this too loud

Is there a target level specific to radio?

Is there a filter to run it through to make it all better? Sometimes runnin the mix in a Kaoss Pad comes up with some cool options and it evens it out.

Here is a quick 4 layer . Tap drums, Guitar , Bass, Keys. My slider is half way.

What instruments are too loud? The mix is peak -6 and body -12db. How do I clean my palette after each listen?
Attached Files

Zoo2ooa.mp3 (622.7 KB, 318 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Radio Broadcast Levels?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted df98c51 View Post
Is there a target level specific to radio?
Not really. Each station or network has their own processing that they set up greatest appeal to the listener (in their opinion), consistency from one source to another, to distinguish themselves from their competitors, and for technical reasons such as best modulation of the carrier, HF limiting, etc. Most stations spend a great deal of effort, time and money to impart this "secret sauce" to their sound.

It's best not to try to second guess their processing or game their system. Just deliver a good mix (to your ears) at solid, consistent levels, not distorted. We deliver our (talk) programs at -24 LUFS, integrated, but that's more for our own in-house consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted df98c51 View Post
What instruments are too loud?
That's an aesthetic decision, so it's your call.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted df98c51
I would think there is a standard. my guess is -6, Line 6, dash 6. Something of a spec.

What are your thoughts on adding a small 10 second intro infront to cleanse the ears? Sos its not G D C G D C I'm hearing. Or is a sharp A to B contrast better? Or make a pile of 10 different mixes and listen to them tomorrow?

Pound on the keys first a couple times or something to scare away the ghosts.
Attached Files

Zoo2ooOOAH.mp3 (669.8 KB, 190 views)

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
What instruments are too loud?
I would think there is a standard
There are no standards to how loud each instrument is in a mix. It all depends on how you want it to sound in your mix..

Its like asking what colors and brush techniques i should paint with when painting my picture. Its all up to you on what you want to paint and how you want the viewer to see your painting and the vibe you want for your painting. Same goes for mixing and levels for each instrument.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search