The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???

Audio equipment novice but enthusiast.

I picked this up at a garage sale and I'm not sure what it is, or who made it.

I researched the transformer, Universal Transformer Co UTC Model A-10, online and everything led me to microphone preamp or leveler

I asked a friend and he thought it was either home made, or rigged up in a studio.

Can anyone send me to a good online site or help ID this piece.

Thanks in advance/help.

JoeBirmingham
Attached Thumbnails
UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-1.jpg   UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-2.jpg   UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-3.jpg   UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-4.jpg   UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-5.jpg  

UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-6.jpg   UTC A-10 In a ??? - Old Mic Preamp???-photo-7.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Wow. 3 female XLR's, 1 unbalanced male TS, 1 transformer. I'm just enough of a tech to know that I don't know how to make sense of it. If it was just 1 female XLR and 1 pot I might guess it was an attempt at a reamp box. But I really have no clue.

That UTC A10 would make a dandy passive DI, btw, but not wired up like that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks Brent!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

There don't appear to be any active electronics. So it must be a passive mic mixer of some sort. 2x1 or 3x1.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What I can say is that it is really old.

The UTC and those pots are well worth keeping for a project but the box looks like it was built for a specific purpose.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
What I can say is that it is really old.

The UTC and those pots are well worth keeping for a project but the box looks like it was built for a specific purpose.
Those large diameter microphone connectors haven't been used since maybe the early to mid 1950s. I think they were made by Cannon. So yes, it is old. Maybe even as old as me! Notice also, they are wired Pin 3 hot. That used to be very common, at least in the US.

That form was not uncommon for project boxes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search