The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using Preamps on MixBus
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Using Preamps on MixBus

Hey everyone -

I'm working on getting my MIXBUS chain figured out for a record I'm working on. One thing I've had suggested to me is to put a stereo preamp on the MIXBUS to run it through the transformers. I've been told this can add some harmonic distortion to the mix as a whole.

I currently have it set up like this:

Interface Out > TRS Cable > WA-412 Hi-Z Input > WA-412 Output > TRS Cable > Interface Input

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice here. Specifically, I'm wondering if using the Hi-Z input is not the most appropriate way to do this. Just as background, I also use some outboard Pultec EQs.

Any advice in this arena would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
AJ
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The advice is: I really wouldn't. There's no magic mojo to be gained from sending your mix back out through some mic pre's that you can't get as good - or better - staying ITB, with better workflow to boot.

I'm sure the WA is great for tracking things through, but don't buy into the myth that running your mix back out through something automatically makes it better, or does something special to the mix. On your mix buss, especially, there's absolutely no upside to going DA > AD again through what you have, and doing anything on your stereo buss because someone suggests it might add some "harmonic distortion" is a recipe for disaster.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Why would you go from a balanced TRS to a highz input?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I just recently experimented with same process, Sounds great. I dont want to start any digital/analog wars on here, I haven't the time to debate sound through text on the internet.
I had an acoustic demo, that I posted in one of the forums, (rough mix, demo, or something) that was peaking around -10db. Ran it back out through an Art Mpa ii, then through a joe meek C2 as a limiter, then back in. Both cheap boxes gave it some heavy tube saturation.
I A/B'ed it to the original mix with volume the same. To me,... the person mixing the same song for an hour, it was night and day.
Whether you like the difference is up to you, but the difference was apparent. The original sounded thin, but I generally prefer a vintage EQ type sound. Of course it didn't have anywhere near the clarity of a taylor swift track. The takeaway is, run it through a shoebox if you want. You can always go back.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search