The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sorry newbie here with an Audio Interface question.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
As of now the 828es is is the front runner, unless I hear a great argument otherwise.

The customer service is definitely a huge plus!
I really like the ensemble but I don't see why I should spend the extra $1000+ when the 828es would fit the bill.
The saved money can go for mic's, etc or even to start saving for a Mac upgrade down the road

Thanks, Headless Dinosaur!
I think you are right on with the 828es. Plus, if you buy it and you don't like it you can always return it, so win-win.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason kalman View Post
I think you are right on with the 828es. Plus, if you buy it and you don't like it you can always return it, so win-win.
Thanks so much my friend, you and so many others have really helped me tremendously!
I REALLY do appreciate the help!
Thanks again!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks so much my friend, you and so many others have really helped me tremendously!
I REALLY do appreciate the help!
Thanks again!
No problem Emrys! Always a pleasure!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I want to thank all of you so much for your, insights, input, suggestions and help with your replies to my call for help.
I am honored and deeply gratified that you took the time to reply!

I have been trying to decide which way to go for months now, but, with your help today I have decided to go with the MOTU 828ES.

I will order that bad boy tomorrow, so, this week sometime, I will get it, set it up and start having fun creating and recording my music!

Thanks again!
Emrys!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Awesome, so they do have HI-Z inputs!
Whew!! I was worried there for a bit lol
Thanks again!!!!!
You are very welcome. If you have any other questions i'm happy to answer them for you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
You are very welcome. If you have any other questions i'm happy to answer them for you.
You bet. Thanks again.
All the best with your music endeavors!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I was late to the party but as a current owner and user of Apogee Ensemble AND Audient ID14/Asp800/Asp880 AND Motu 16a I just wanted to let you know you have made the right choice unless you wanted a smaller setup in which case I would have recommended Audient ID22 which retails around the 500 mark I believe?

But right off the bat the MOTU is the only one of these with built-in midi so you’d have to deal with that separately with the others. Which is no big deal, but would use up another USB port and require an additional (though cheap) purchase.

Also the MOTU shouldn’t require any learning curve to just set up as recording ins and outs. I believe it comes configured this way and you won’t need to learn the router to begin working with it.

If the 828es had been available when I bought my Ensemble it might have been a better way to go because it has massive expandability (100 channels or something?!?) via Ethernet cable whereas the Ensemble can only manage 8-16 via its ADAT connections.

Also: Logic is the way to go. For $200 you get a forever license and it includes huge amounts of plugins and midi instruments. Pro Tools has no edge over it anymore except maybe the way it handles editing audio. But the differences are all in workflow. For the most part neither can do anything the other can’t anymore.

Happy recording!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
I was late to the party but as a current owner and user of Apogee Ensemble AND Audient ID14/Asp800/Asp880 AND Motu 16a I just wanted to let you know you have made the right choice unless you wanted a smaller setup in which case I would have recommended Audient ID22 which retails around the 500 mark I believe?

But right off the bat the MOTU is the only one of these with built-in midi so you’d have to deal with that separately with the others. Which is no big deal, but would use up another USB port and require an additional (though cheap) purchase.

Also the MOTU shouldn’t require any learning curve to just set up as recording ins and outs. I believe it comes configured this way and you won’t need to learn the router to begin working with it.

If the 828es had been available when I bought my Ensemble it might have been a better way to go because it has massive expandability (100 channels or something?!?) via Ethernet cable whereas the Ensemble can only manage 8-16 via its ADAT connections.

Happy recording!
Awesome!!!!
Thanks so much for the confirmation of my choice!
I will be ordering that bad boy first thing tomorrow!
Thanks again!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
UAD has great plugs, but it's a slippery slope. Don't get into UAD unless you plan to spend tons on them. Get the Octo card, a Quad will not be enough for more than a few plugs. The Good plugs eat up 1/3 to 1/2 of a core. So with quad, you get to use 8 to 12 great plugs. Yeah there are many not so heavy, but you get the idea. Spend some time and the UAD site and look at the instance chart.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...AD-2-DSP-Chart

Even with a few year old computer, you don't buy UAD to take the load off the CPU, you get them because they have great plugs.

RME makes fantastic drivers with low lag. And they tend to support there hardware with upgraded drivers long after the OS has changed twice. There converters are good too.

I have not used MOTU in a long time. So I can't comment about there stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
UAD has great plugs, but it's a slippery slope. Don't get into UAD unless you plan to spend tons on them. Get the Octo card, a Quad will not be enough for more than a few plugs. The Good plugs eat up 1/3 to 1/2 of a core. So with quad, you get to use 8 to 12 great plugs. Yeah there are many not so heavy, but you get the idea.

Even with a few year old computer, you don't buy UAD to take the load off the CPU, you get them because they have great plugs.

RME makes fantastic drivers with low lag. And they tend to support there hardware with upgraded drivers long after the OS has changed twice. There converters are good too.

Since you are comming in blind. You may want to look up the differences in protocol. This will be one of your larger decisions that will effect cost and performance.

Protocols: USB, Firewire, Daunte, MADI, Thunderbolt, ADAT optical, SPDIF, AES, many more.

MADI is high cost, low lag, very stable. AES is the same. MADI is optical mutichannel AES.
USB is the low cost option. Can depend on the exact computer and converters for how well it performs.
Daunte is the new network protocol. I don't know much about it other than the lag of the system is dependent on the quality of the network.

Some will use PCI cards, some use IO direct on the computer. It can get complex quick. To put this more simply, say you wanted to use RME drivers. Either you need RME converters using IO on the computer, or a PCI card from RME, typically for MADI or ADAT optical.

There is a huge thread here about converter performance data.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
UAD has great plugs, but it's a slippery slope. Don't get into UAD unless you plan to spend tons on them. Get the Octo card, a Quad will not be enough for more than a few plugs. The Good plugs eat up 1/3 to 1/2 of a core. So with quad, you get to use 8 to 12 great plugs. Yeah there are many not so heavy, but you get the idea.

Since you are comming in blind. You may want to look up the differences in protocol. This will be one of your larger decisions that will effect cost and performance.

Protocols: USB, Firewire, Daunte, MADI, Thunderbolt, ADAT optical, SPDIF, AES, many more.

MADI is high cost, low lag, very stable. AES is the same. MADI is optical mutichannel AES.
USB is the low cost option. Can depend on the exact computer and converters for how well it performs.
Daunte is the new network protocol. I don't know much about it other than the lag of the system is dependent on the quality of the network.

Some will use PCI cards, some use IO direct on the computer. It can get complex quick. To put this more simply, say you wanted to use RME drivers. Either you need RME converters using IO on the computer, or a PCI card from RME, typically for MADI or ADAT optical.

That’s why the MOTU gear is so awesome— Ethernet cable is cheap, tidy and rugged and so much easier to run long distances than optical (ADAT).
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post

While all these are possible options the 828es is a single thunderbolt or usb connection. Very very low latency and expandability with multiple connection options to do so. While Elegent Drummer is right about all the options MADI and Daunte are way more than anything you will need for what you want to do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just an FYI, my Motu 828es is on its way!!!!
Coming tomorrow!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just an FYI, my Motu 828es is on its way!!!!
Coming tomorrow!
Be sure to update us on your impressions!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
Be sure to update us on your impressions!
I sure will...
Thanks for asking!!!
It gives me a reason to post my findings!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search