The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ensemble strings in trap beat split and panning
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hello
In my trap beats I often arrange ensemble strings parts with spitfire chamber strings where in one midi track I have four to six midi layers (violins, viola,cello) and I use stereo imager for widening.
My question is: do I have to split this one ensemble track on different sections? You know one midi track is First violins, second track is second violins, third track is violas and fourth is cello. I watched a lots of tutorials but its hard to find Tutorials with strings + 808 kicks and other trap beat stuff.

In one ensemble strings track I cant pan each section differently so splitting on each section and pan each section left and right makes sense but do I have to do that? How about trap producers ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are you using the MIDI parts to play different notes (harmonies), or are you basically using them as a combined "strings", where they're all playing the same thing? Where those libraries really come alive is if you voice the parts for a real string arrangement, with the cellos tsking lower octaves, and the violas and viloins increasingly higher harmoniees. In that scenario, panning each group in a way that orchestra string sections are typically panned can produce wonderful, wide results. It is also a good idea to get to know how each section sounds in different registers - so that your chord vocings take advantage of the natural characteristics of each instrument, rather than trying to do it all with EQ.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
In one ensemble strings track I cant pan each section differently so splitting on each section and pan each section left and right makes sense but do I have to do that?
You do not have to do anything that doesn't get you the results you want. You can pan as you wish. Genre doesn't matter. Do what ever you want to do, if that gets you the results you want.

Some guidelines: But not rules as you do what ever needs to be done. The more lower frequency instruments, like double bass and cello can be more in the middle of the 3D sound scape and the higher frequencies instruments can be more wider and towards the ends of the sound scape.
Quote:
do I have to split this one ensemble track on different sections?
You do not have to do anything. Just do what ever gets you your desired sound for that specif mix.

If that gets you the sound you want by not splitting them up, then do not do it, But if it gets you the desired sound you want by splitting them up, then do it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Well thank you very much! I guess the rule „If it sounds good it is good” is the most important thing and I will stick to this.

Yes I have arrangment of strings where cello plays lower octave, viola higher and violins highest. I always do this that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You do not have to do anything that doesn't get you the results you want. You can pan as you wish. Genre doesn't matter. Do what ever you want to do, if that gets you the results you want.

Some guidelines: But not rules as you do what ever needs to be done. The more lower frequency instruments, like double bass and cello can be more in the middle of the 3D sound scape and the higher frequencies instruments can be more wider and towards the ends of the sound scape.

You do not have to do anything. Just do what ever gets you your desired sound for that specif mix.

If that gets you the sound you want by not splitting them up, then do not do it, But if it gets you the desired sound you want by splitting them up, then do it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search