The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newby Recording advise
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Newby Recording advise

I most of all want to say hello, it is my first post here on gearslutz. I am trying to wrap my mind around recording using logic pro x for a while , I have Logic pro x, and I bought a Universal audio apollo twin, a while back, recently I bought a line 6 helix, should I use the helix USB straight into the Logic ? or should i use the left and right TRS output into the Input of the Apollo Twin ? assuming I want to record in stereo?

I also have a BeatBuddy, Drum machine I wish to include on my recordings, but I need a stereo input, it is a good idea use a mixer before the Appolo twin, so I can hook my helix and the drum machine?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbelo View Post
I most of all want to say hello, it is my first post here on gearslutz. I am trying to wrap my mind around recording using logic pro x for a while , I have Logic pro x, and I bought a Universal audio apollo twin, a while back, recently I bought a line 6 helix, should I use the helix USB straight into the Logic ? or should i use the left and right TRS output into the Input of the Apollo Twin ? assuming I want to record in stereo?

I also have a BeatBuddy, Drum machine I wish to include on my recordings, but I need a stereo input, it is a good idea use a mixer before the Appolo twin, so I can hook my helix and the drum machine?

Hi,
I record guitar in mono from a line 6 using 1/4 . Mostly though, with spdif out. Record both and see if one is better. If you like what you hear when monitoring the helix then just record the data.

Best thing I ever did was get an analog mixer and make it the center of my desk. So cool. A pal uses a epic protools digital console and wrecks everyone though.

My drum machines are 8 out now. So I can isolate kick, snare, yada yada. Same thing I would do in Geist or Drumcore or Wave Alchemy any vst sampler.

For hardware I added some adat interfaces and used optical cable to conect them to my interface for more i/o.

But the coolest thing is running auxiliary to and from the daw and mixing on the analog mixer. I added a digital card to it to send to another machine. Or just print on tracks im sending from.

I love it. Some guys go into mixer then interface. I love going into interfaces then daw to mixer.

Ive been screamed at by guys asking advice but, I can do anything I want. I used to have to half jack a phones output before adding more adat though.

The only other system I like is that Waves one. https://www.waves.com/soundgrid-systems If I can use 3rd party plugins I might try for it or just get the console and PT like my pal.

This is a bit long because, you have many options. Once you start expanding you might keep going in a direction. Monitors and mics best ones we all can get right? Yup. Everything in between gets nerfd. So the mixer is big choice imho. Mixing techniques for me never, after many many years never really clicked until I had a decent analog mixer. You should have seen me set it up all backwards *like the guys asking me advice who rage on me*

Think learning with busses and aux and vca in logic was bad for me, not for everyone. But I had inserts messed up for a while but aux big time. That one day where I realized that there was a master pot for the aux was great. Then a combination of hardware and digital effects for every channel! Then i learned you could expand the interface. I already had been mixing with unity so those two days were epic. Then I found out in the analog world they have line spliters, mixers so many ways to route.

Then reamping ! Then pedal loopers with global mute and noisless switches.

Then Hakko soldering, eprom burning, sample converting and ya! The analog mixer. Making it the center of my desk; the best thing I ever did.

If you just want to use what you have and keep future digital then just get exaclty what you need. And if its small the SSL has the best small analog mixer imho next is A&H. But that just what I like.

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/studio/xlogic%20x-desk

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/wz4-14-4-2/

My switch from emagic logic to apple logic was very expensive and drama nightmare which ultimately destroyed me.

Reaper kept me going but Studio one rebuilt me. Being able to have dsp effects in the interface and sync to the daw to monitor or print allows so many options for small powerful rig.

BTW. I have never used usb to record audio. But I always use usb over wireless mice.

This message is brought to you by a guy coming down from a bit of panic and adrenaline looking for his lost dog prior to sitting down. Found him. This is a healthy vent method. Way better than the drink.

Big-Ups

Last edited by Amsoily; 2 weeks ago at 11:38 AM.. Reason: dot the eyes
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

The poster above me said a few things that work for him but not the most conventional. To the OP. You have some strong gear to start with so no worries. My adivice would be look at hooking up your line 6 via usb directly to your computer and setting up that with the apollo twin as an aggregate system. Your computer will see both pieces as a single interface that leaves your inputs on the apollo wide open for whatever.

The apollo also has a digital input which will allow you to expand the number of inputs you have by up to 8 channels at 48k and by 4 channels if you run SMUX and go up to 96k. This will allow you to have dedicated inputs for your drum machine should you choose to. If you dont have to money to expand your inputs then record your drum machine stereo on 2 tracks then unhook it and use your inputs for something else.

Logic Pro X has some really good drums in it. I would recomend learning how to use them if you dont already know how to. You will be able to do way more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
The poster above me said a few things that work for him but not the most conventional. To the OP. You have some strong gear to start with so no worries. My adivice would be look at hooking up your line 6 via usb directly to your computer and setting up that with the apollo twin as an aggregate system. Your computer will see both pieces as a single interface that leaves your inputs on the apollo wide open for whatever.

The apollo also has a digital input which will allow you to expand the number of inputs you have by up to 8 channels at 48k and by 4 channels if you run SMUX and go up to 96k. This will allow you to have dedicated inputs for your drum machine should you choose to. If you dont have to money to expand your inputs then record your drum machine stereo on 2 tracks then unhook it and use your inputs for something else.

Logic Pro X has some really good drums in it. I would recomend learning how to use them if you dont already know how to. You will be able to do way more.
The poster above said some really great things, some that will work efficiently for the op.

I could recommend you use Renoise to: Trigger your drum machine and use Rewire to conect Logic to it but, Presonus is giving notation 6 away for free with studio one bundles for a couple c notes right now.

:P Get a mixer and be a mad scientist.

"Headless dinosaur is truth"
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
Hum I thought about that Sunday , I was trying to use the helix over usb , and the appolo with mic , and drum machine , I tryed to change the imput on the system preferences on the Logic , but I was unable to use both imputes simultaneously, so you are sayng that there is a way ? I must explore more this option ,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hum I thought about that Sunday , I was trying to use the helix over usb , and the appolo with mic , and drum machine , I tryed to change the imput on the system preferences on the Logic , but I was unable to use both imputes simultaneously, so you are sayng that there is a way ? I must explore more this option ,
In ligic I would go in the environment.

In Studio one I click add external device. Set up two for the same gear. Then select each one on a track. If you need help with logic look up SLUG Logic Pro User group or wait till someone here can help
Good luck.

Studio One has sale right now :p apple and me are

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search