The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best ways to route a 4 track in and out of an interface / Possible issue with my X-77
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Best ways to route a 4 track in and out of an interface / Possible issue with my X-77

I own a Fostex X-77 4 track cassette tape recorder I am fond of. I often will track demos on it and then transfer them into a daw. I do this because I like the feel and sound of working with a 4 track.

In the past, I have very lazily routed the headphone out to one of the two ins on my Scarlett 2i2. Recently any time I do this the tape machine becomes "overloaded" meaning the display on the machine fully lights up, and will loudly buzz if connected to speakers...Yikes, Hard Lemonade.

Below are some more observations and a video of this happening... Did I damage my machine? What is causing this? is there a better way? Also would like to know the best way to route out of my interface and into the X-77 (keep in mind Scarlett is at +4dBu output level)

- This happens when connecting any port to the interface, Aux, Stereo out via RCA to 1/4 inch (just got one of these to test). Also putting a D.I. box after the Rca to 1/4 into the Scarlett. Same issue.

-This doesn't happen when connecting other powered devices to any of these ports ( Like a drum machine) (scarlet 2i2 has a plus 4dbu but output, this could have something to do with it. I mean obviously, power does.) Keep in mind the issue is routing the tape out to the scarlet in.

- I don't have another interface to test with

- Connecting headphones to this port work fine.

- I believe once I had the same issue when connecting my pedalboard, which has a stereo out, to a small SS amp AND the tape machine at the same time. Something about devices with certain powers is setting this off.

- Video of the issue -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOR1wJ0EXhM

- the interface is connected and powered via USB (laptop). I just tried unplugging my laptop's power and tested it with it running on battery. Got the same issue. Everything is plugged into the same outlet.

- Interface Outputs are connected to powered monitors (jbl305s) I've tried with them powered off

P.S. Hello from a longtime lurker and a first-time poster. Let me know if there is another forum this post would be better off in.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I don't know why your tape recorder is doing this but the inputs in the 2i2 are balanced inputs (not stereo). To record the headphone out (stereo) you will nee two inputs on the 2i2.
When using the xlr don't switch on the phantom power.

I would use two RCA to 1/4" mono (ts) jack cables and plug the outs of the x-77 to the two inputs on the 2i2.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search