Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Using Honda EU3000is inverter to run PA Speakers subwoofers

Hi all: please guide me -

I am planning to run a the below setup for a office party
Two QSC K12 Speakers
Two QSC K181 Subwoofers
(...All rented from Guitar Center)

I am planning to run the above by directly plugging them into a Honda EU3000is inverter generator (rented from Home depot).

Will i be able to run the PA system successfully and most inportantly SAFELY? For both the speakers and the inverter...

The event is tomorrow. Thank you for helping me!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The generator produces 2800W. so long as you stay below that wattage level you should be OK.

It might be wise to use some surge protected power strips. You don't need to go crazy on the cost. The $10 computer type surge protected strips you can buy just about anyplace should be sufficient for protecting the gear from any power surges that can cause AC spikes. Brown outs as the generator runs out of fuel and dies shouldn't harm anything plus they can be avoided by keeping the tank full.

you'll need to add up the power consumption of anything you connect by finding the manufacturers specs. Don't confuse speaker wattage with AC power consumption. Most spec sheets should list both. Sometimes they only give you the Amps used. If that's the case you take the AC Voltage (120V in most cases) and the amps and key them into this calculator so you can figure out the AC wattage.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

Use AC single phase with a power factor of one and you should get the wattage used when you key in the amps and 120V AC
Some pieces of gear give you a Idle and Operating amperage. Always use the operating. Idle means they are on but not passing any sound. You want the gear's operating current levels if they're listed separately.
Old 2 weeks ago
With the gear you described, you will be totally fine. Done this with that particular generator many times with several different rigs, including QSC K series.

Fill the tank and rock on. Those Hondas are great.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
The generator produces 2800W. so long as you stay below that wattage level you should be OK.

It might be wise to use some surge protected power strips. You don't need to go crazy on the cost. The $10 computer type surge protected strips you can buy just about anyplace should be sufficient for protecting the gear from any power surges that can cause AC spikes. Brown outs as the generator runs out of fuel and dies shouldn't harm anything plus they can be avoided by keeping the tank full.

you'll need to add up the power consumption of anything you connect by finding the manufacturers specs. Don't confuse speaker wattage with AC power consumption. Most spec sheets should list both. Sometimes they only give you the Amps used. If that's the case you take the AC Voltage (120V in most cases) and the amps and key them into this calculator so you can figure out the AC wattage.

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

Use AC single phase with a power factor of one and you should get the wattage used when you key in the amps and 120V AC
Some pieces of gear give you a Idle and Operating amperage. Always use the operating. Idle means they are on but not passing any sound. You want the gear's operating current levels if they're listed separately.
Thank you both of you guys

It seems that EU3000is should provide sufficient power
each of my speakers have 2.01 A at 120V, so approx 8 A.
so 8 x 120V = 960 W ... which is much less than 3000 W

Now that power requirement is sorted (thank you! ) I have one more concern -

I am planning to plug the speakers' power plugs directly into the outlets of the EU3000is inverter generator. (at max, I can use the home-use computer extension board in between) Can you please tell me is this safe?
Particularly, I don't want to damage the inverter generator or the speakers, since they all are rentals...
I have never done sound setup before... so dont know if this is ok or is something that people usually do. Note that I am trying to keep the cost low.

Thank you for helping me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search