The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocals and mono / stereo mixer question
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Vocals and mono / stereo mixer question

I have been using a Behringer 1204 mixer to record my vocals up until now, but I have just purchased a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen which only records in mono.

I have been trying to research the subject but now I’m really confused. When I record vocals in my mixer with one mic it sounds stereo and doesn’t automatically pan to the left in my DAW when I use a stereo track (like mono seems to if I record to a stereo track). Is this mixer producing a true stereo signal? Is stereo just left and right or is it centre as well?

With mono mixing should I be planning to the left and right for rock / pop songs or should there be a centre as well?

Is it better to record vocals with my mixer or using this new mono device? I don’t really like the sound as much on the mono one but I don’t know what is right.

Any help would be much appreciated. I’m so confused.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The source (one microphone) is mono.
Recording it to a stereo track could result in two identical channels (left and right) , but still be mono.
The mixer is outputting the mono to both stereo channels, but it's still mono.
Vocals (lead) are mostly panned center (left and right equal power).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you so much for your reply. I have another question if that’s ok? If I’m sending my vocals to a buyer is it better to pan left and right and bounce to a new track or leave the mono? What do engineers prefer to receive? It’s not always people with lots of mixing experience I’m selling to. In fact should I bounce centre, left and right together?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You should probably just send mono. There is no "centre, left and right" as far as channels go if your project/session is stereo; just left/right. You pan center into those two channels, as BT64 wrote.

My preference is to record one mic to one single-channel audio track, not a stereo track. So your vocals would (if I recorded them) be recorded as a single channel on a mono audio track. That audio track then has an output assigned to it. Most of the time this will be a stereo output that goes to your left/right speaker. The (mono) vocal audio track has the output assigned to that stereo output, and you can and most often will pan that vocal "center". As BT64 wrote, this means equal level in both left / right channels.

When you send someone your recording you have several options for what you send. If you tell us what DAW (software) you're using someone that knows that software can give you a good recommendation.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Mattaisnyc, thank you for your explanation. I am using Logic Pro X. I normally send files as a WAV audio file.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just record vocals on a mono track, there is no advantage to recording a mono signal onto a stereo track.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Mono saves a lot of data size to , and a mono source on a stereo file doesn't add any useful data.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Is this mixer producing a true stereo signal? Is stereo just left and right or is it centre as well?

With mono mixing should I be planning to the left and right for rock / pop songs or should there be a centre as well?
The mixer you use doesn't matter, as you can create a 3D stereo mix with anything. The best way to create a nice 3D stereo mix is with all MONO Tracks in my opinion...

You just do not pan left, right and center, you should be creating depth and width by placing instruments, back left, front left, back center, front center, mid center, back right, Front right, 33% mid right, 50% mid left, 75% front left, so on and so on.
you do that by using a short series of delays (reverbs), delays , mid and side EQ techniques, panning and other stereo imaging tools

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search