The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drum Recording possibilities?!?!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Drum Recording possibilities?!?!

Ok so I know this is a much discussed topic, and I'm not what I would consider a newbie, but I am by no means a know-it-all or self proclaimed "pro." We're always learning right? I'm tracking my own drums this weekend. My plan is to have my bassist soundcheck the kit whilst I dial in the tones and mess with mic placement, then let him hit record for me.
What I'm going to do is list my entire rig below, and if anyone feels inclined I would love to hear what YOU would do with it. I have my own go-to setups but I'm always looking to see what more I can squeeze out with the gear I have. So without further ado, here we go!

MUSICAL STYLE: HARDCORE/PUNK/METAL

ROOM: Basement with moderate sound treatment, many sq ft of acoustic foam on the walls, ceiling covered in burlap coffee sacks, carpet on the whole floor.

KIT: Very nicely tuned PDP LX with all new heads, Evans hydraulics on the 12" and 14" toms, and a EMAD on the 22" Kick

SNARE: 14x8 Ludwig black magic (black over brass)

CYMBALS: Zildjian Avedis and A custom, new beat hats, oriental trash.

FRONT END/RACK: Soundcraft 500 desk, Klark Teknik-KT76, FMR RNC 1773, ART Prochannel 2, Presonus Studio Channel, Behringer Composer,

INTERFACE: Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56

MICS:
SM57x2
Sennheiser E902
ElectroVoice RE-20
OKTAVA MK012 Stereo pair
Shure PG56 x3
RODE NT1A
MXL 440
Pyle PDMIC78
Audix F10

DAW: REAPER

All the rack gear and 6 channels off the desk are hooked into a patch bay along with all 8 channels on the interface. How would you do this? Let me know!
Old 2 weeks ago
OStarted out in a similar fashion. The two main things I'd advice are these:

Lose some foam and add some rockwool or similar stuff. Thick. A must in every basement I know.

Find a way to soundcheck yourself. Having someone else do this doesn't work. He will hit the drums completely different than you. I have done this a few times in the beginning and it would have sounded nice if my guitarist would actually have played the drums.

I learned this stuff matters more in these situations than where to put which mic. That's rather interesting in a great sounding studio room.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
hat I'm going to do is list my entire rig below, and if anyone feels inclined I would love to hear what YOU would do with it.
How does your room sound? Are there a lot of standing waves going back and forth?
These things determine what mic to use and how to position the mics and at what levels.
There is no way for me or anyone else to know what the best set up is for this scenario. Trial and error is the only way to know, start experimenting...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search