The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Weird distortion sound in my speakers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Weird distortion sound in my speakers

Hi,

I hope everyone is doing well.

Okay, so I own a pair of JBL305. They're pretty old, but they are really good. The problem is with sound clarity. I have an all-in-one setup where my PC, PS4 and 4K player are all connected to the same display. Sadly, the display doesn't have built-in speakers, so I have to use my JBLs and connect them to the display using the TRS. As for the HDMI, it is connected between the display and PS4/4K Player.

I think because the sound is traveling from the source (PS4/4K Player) via HDMI and then from the display to the speakers, this conversion is what's causing the audio issue. There is a really weird "hsss" distortion that is covering the clarity of the sound. I need to get rid of it. I think the best solution is to remove the display from the equation.

I could either use an HDMI audio extractor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HHSJVN..._wEVpDb0DAZ6G1

or a digital-to-analong converter:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNNSKV0..._.FVpDb2SVN8SP

I am not sure which one of these is the best solution for my case. I don't need a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. I only need a stereo to make music, watch movies and play games. So is it better to extract the audio from the HDMI or should I just use the optical digital audio output of the PS4/4K Player?

Three things are concerning me right now before buying:

• How much latency?

• How much quality change in sound?

• How much noise generation?

Thanks in advance!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

After doing a quick research and talking to the J-Tech guys, I've decided it is best to purchase the J-Tech HDMI Audio Extractor. Taking the audio from the HDMI source is better than Optical when it comes to quality. HDMI can pass Dolby where Optical can't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search