The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I could use some help finding an audio interface that works for me.
Old 8th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you guys for the advice, I'll be checking out the MOTU stuff tonight.
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxThatTalks View Post
Thank you guys for the advice, I'll be checking out the MOTU stuff tonight.
If you find the prices hard to swing, look for gently used/like new/open box listings on eBay and reverb. I’ve bought all my interfaces this way over the years without any issue.
Old 21st September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessDinosaur View Post
I agree the MOTU stuff is the way to go. Its a little more expensive than say Focusrite or Tascam but the quality dwarfs those. Plus I can say from personal experience that MOTU's customer service is outstanding.

Quick Question Mate!

Does the Motu 828es help with cpu processing of plugins ect. I see adverts about the Antelope discrete, UA, ect and was wondering about the Motu 828es?

Thank in advance.
Old 22nd September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyTrill View Post
Quick Question Mate!

Does the Motu 828es help with cpu processing of plugins ect. I see adverts about the Antelope discrete, UA, ect and was wondering about the Motu 828es?

Thank in advance.
It has a dsp mixer with compression, eq, reverb etc. all with zero latency but none of it is accessible through your daw. So none of it is easily usable during mixing. You could use them on the mix but you would have to flip flop between your daw and the dsp mixer which is more trouble than its worth really. That said you are paying for amazing conversion. I use the 828es and a UAD satellite system which does help with cpu usage.
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks very much for the information
Old 23rd September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Thanks very much for the information ������������������
You're Welcome. I am not gonna speak for the Antelope stuff. I hear it sounds good though. However since you were asking about the 828es I am assuming you need atleast 8 analog i/o.

Expandability on the UA stuff is not the greatest. UA doesnt offer the option to buy hardware without buying the basic plugs that come with all there stuff making expansion expensive. The real advantage to the UA convertors is the unison mic pre's if you are into that.

The MOTU stuff however sounds better imo. The dynamic range on the DAC is 123 db. You will be hard pressed to find that elsewhere at a reasonable price and it makes a HUGE difference when mixing. Yes the new UAD stuff is supposed to be 129db but for the 8x you are paying 2700 bucks even the apollo 8 which is still available new is over 2000 and doesnt have the same dynamic range. The 828es is only 995 and paired with a UAD satellite system with a quad which is 800 bucks you are looking at around 1800 bucks 2200 if you get an octo version of the UAD. Thats 500 to 900 bucks cheaper than the apollo interface. Also UA stuff doesnt have midi i/o.
Old 24th September 2019
Quote:

Expandability on the UA stuff is not the greatest. UA doesnt offer the option to buy hardware without buying the basic plugs that come with all there stuff making expansion expensive. The real advantage to the UA convertors is the unison mic pre's if you are into that.

The MOTU stuff however sounds better imo. The dynamic range on the DAC is 123 db. You will be hard pressed to find that elsewhere at a reasonable price and it makes a HUGE difference when mixing. Yes the new UAD stuff is supposed to be 129db but for the 8x you are paying 2700 bucks even the apollo 8 which is still available new is over 2000 and doesnt have the same dynamic range. The 828es is only 995 and paired with a UAD satellite system with a quad which is 800 bucks you are looking at around 1800 bucks 2200 if you get an octo version of the UAD. Thats 500 to 900 bucks cheaper than the apollo interface. Also UA stuff doesnt have midi i/o.
What do you mean about expandability?!

You can happily expand the uad system with more of their interfaces and accelerator boxes for mixing - and use a twin as a desktop di/remote control. It all integrates perfectly. Plus there’s plenty of adat etc options if you want to go that path - the twin can be expanded to 10in/4 out.

I don’t know about you, but unless you’re into 90s synths, midi is an optional extra these days - you’re better off with a USB hub than midi ports built in!
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
What do you mean about expandability?!

You can happily expand the uad system with more of their interfaces and accelerator boxes for mixing - and use a twin as a desktop di/remote control. It all integrates perfectly. Plus there’s plenty of adat etc options if you want to go that path - the twin can be expanded to 10in/4 out.

I don’t know about you, but unless you’re into 90s synths, midi is an optional extra these days - you’re better off with a USB hub than midi ports built in!
I clarified my statement with the second sentence. Its not physically hard to expand, it is financially taxing to do so. Even a twin is like 800 bucks.

As far as midi goes, I dont use a lot of midi. I plug in a synth via the midi port mainly so I can use the organs and keys in Logic. One keyboard is all I need so why not have a midi port.
Old 24th September 2019
Quote:
I clarified my statement with the second sentence. Its not physically hard to expand, it is financially taxing to do so. Even a twin is like 800 bucks.
That's true. You just make a decision if you want to invest in the architecture or not
I suppose. It's not "expensive" compared to the next step up (an HD rig), but it is a lot of money. It's up to the user as to if that increased functionality is worth it.

Quote:
As far as midi goes, I dont use a lot of midi. I plug in a synth via the midi port mainly so I can use the organs and keys in Logic. One keyboard is all I need so why not have a midi port.
I would argue because all new keyboards since at least the early 2000s have USB connections, so it's generally not needed I'd rather not pay for that and add $20 or so to the price! If I need a midi IO I'll spend that $20.

It's like why not have FW400 ports on new computers? Occasionally it might be needed, but mostly it's not.
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
That's true. You just make a decision if you want to invest in the architecture or not
I suppose. It's not "expensive" compared to the next step up (an HD rig), but it is a lot of money. It's up to the user as to if that increased functionality is worth it.

I would argue because all new keyboards since at least the early 2000s have USB connections, so it's generally not needed I'd rather not pay for that and add $20 or so to the price! If I need a midi IO I'll spend that $20.

It's like why not have FW400 ports on new computers? Occasionally it might be needed, but mostly it's not.
The reason I am such a fan of motu is the price to quality ratio is just about the best on the market. Pair any of the Motu stuff with the es DACs and a satellite system and you have one hell of a rig for a really decent price.

And Motu's customer service is amazing. I called and a real person answered
Old 26th September 2019
Here for the gear
Yeah I like both of them. The UAD allows you to mix with plugins in real time vs going back and forth with the motu. Motu is less pricey and you can use any plugins with it.

Gosh I just went to UAD's website and looked at the plugin price.

I thought my computer was creating typos...

What would be the next best interface from these two?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yeah I like both of them. The UAD allows you to mix with plugins in real time vs going back and forth with the motu. Motu is less pricey and you can use any plugins with it.

Thanks in advance.
While you can use motu's dsp for mixing isnt adviced. There are affordable motu rigs to be had. Check out the Ultralite stuff. If you need to go cheaper than that look at the focusrite stuff.
Old 26th September 2019
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
...but you get massive deals, discounts etc. Quite frequently $100, even $150 off. lots of discount coupons.

I still feel their verbs are unparalleled.
Old 26th September 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:

I still feel their verbs are unparalleled.
Agree

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search