The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How much a music producer charge for a song production ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
I guess that somebody who’s very familiar with the loops in Logic can build a song based on a given chord progression pretty fast.

To me that will be boring as h***, but that’s a matter of taste. It’s possible that within a few years you would be able to do that with AI. Give it a chord progression, structure (intro, verse, etc) and a recorded vocal track and boom; you’ll get a complete song. Rough mixing can also be done with computer power.
The song that the OP linked to did not sound to me like it was constructed out of loops, nor did it sound like it was made "very fast".

If you want to dismiss the entire genre of EDM as requiring no skill, no time, no artistry, just "loops", or even an "AI", that's certainly your right.

My comment about the tracks "performing themselves" was because I was just a little bit surprised that the OP himself seems to share this attitude. That since he is hiring only one person who is playing/programming all the parts that that is worth "less" than separate musicians playing one part each. Obviously it is a quicker search to find one guy willing to work for cheap than 5 guys willing to work for cheap, but the assumption strikes me as unwarranted.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
The song that the OP linked to did not sound to me like it was constructed out of loops, nor did it sound like it was made "very fast".

If you want to dismiss the entire genre of EDM as requiring no skill, no time, no artistry, just "loops", or even an "AI", that's certainly your right.

My comment about the tracks "performing themselves" was because I was just a little bit surprised that the OP himself seems to share this attitude. That since he is hiring only one person who is playing/programming all the parts that that is worth "less" than separate musicians playing one part each. Obviously it is a quicker search to find one guy willing to work for cheap than 5 guys willing to work for cheap, but the assumption strikes me as unwarranted.
Not the entire EDM genre. Of course there’s plenty of brilliant, creative, talented people doing EDM. Just as we have non-creative people in other genres.

I just meant to say that going from chord progression and vocal track to a final song for less than 1000€ probably can be done without having to record anything.

And to be fair: some of the music out there is clearly made with a recipe that works and that is not that difficult to program. It’s also once people only follow max 90% of that recipe that the music becomes noteworthy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ok guys, I have answers from many big producers about the prices, I am going to give the answer of each producers !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
Please follow up and let us know how it goes. I love this thread and I want to hear about your experience.
I am going to give the answers of some big producers as I said (Arston, Klaas, Michael Simon and Maryn...) wich are all published in big labels like Kontor, Revealed, Armada, etc.

I am going to give a screenshot of each of their answers to prove it !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino456 View Post
I am going to give the answers of some big producers as I said (Arston, Klaas, Michael Simon and Maryn...) wich are all published in big labels like Kontor, Revealed, Armada, etc.

That's unnecessary and unprofessional. Hopefully a moderator won't allow it; if you got an answer that you like then go with it I guess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
That's unnecessary and unprofessional. Hopefully a moderator won't allow it; if you got an answer that you like then go with it I guess.
This is an experience I do, and I give informations because many members are interested to know here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Please keep us updated with your experience!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post

Quote:
This is an experience I do, and I give informations because many members are interested to know here.
Not at all cool. Read the FAQs. You should only be reproducing private comms if you have explicit permission.

Anyone revealing my privately discussed rates would forfeit working with me....and I’d imagine these guys would take a similarly dim view.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted c0657d7
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Not at all cool. Read the FAQs. You should only be reproducing private comms if you have explicit permission.

Anyone revealing my privately discussed rates would forfeit working with me....and I’d imagine these guys would take a similarly dim view.
Very uncool that MY POST was also deleted, while it did not contain any of the private communication whatsoever, neither did the post I was quoting.

There was NOt ONE SINGLE NAME mentioned by me (or in the qouted post); not even the specific rates that OP had revealed, but I only mentioned the price RANGE!
I was even careful enough to not quote the "offending" post, but one where there were in no private information revealed, so.......

I could live with deleting my post being collateral damage, but, at least have the prudence to give an accurate reason for doing so.

"please provide proof these people are happy for you to reveal their rates" is completely not applicable on my post and I do take offence to be accused of such behaviour.

NOT COOL!!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Okay, so now I am genuinely curious to know what was found out. Would the OP be allowed to say "some well-established names offered between x and y" without naming names or quoting actual rates? Curiosity piqued.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodba View Post
Very uncool that MY POST was also deleted, while it did not contain any of the private communication whatsoever, neither did the post I was quoting.

There was NOt ONE SINGLE NAME mentioned by me (or in the qouted post); not even the specific rates that OP had revealed, but I only mentioned the price RANGE!
I was even careful enough to not quote the "offending" post, but one where there were in no private information revealed, so.......

I could live with deleting my post being collateral damage, but, at least have the prudence to give an accurate reason for doing so.

"please provide proof these people are happy for you to reveal their rates" is completely not applicable on my post and I do take offence to be accused of such behaviour.

NOT COOL!!!!!
Ok, chill out, don’t wag your finger at me and don’t tell me what you’d “be ok with”. I’ll decide that thanks.

It’s a one button operation that allows me to quickly do things from mobile; I’m sorry it caused such offcence but it’s the lesser of two evils!

I’ll fix it now, and please try to have a bit of understanding in future.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Okay, so now I am genuinely curious to know what was found out. Would the OP be allowed to say "some well-established names offered between x and y" without naming names or quoting actual rates? Curiosity piqued.
Yes but for the fact he’s already mentioned names. I’d really rather the OP went to get permission for any prices he wants to reveal.

I’ve seen well established names work for producer points only; I’ve seen multi thousand dollar deals.

These days I would imagine many do what I do, and have a look at an artist’s streaming stats. Someone independent and doing quite well is likely to get a better deal than someone who’s unheard of, unless the newbie is very driven AND the music is great. And a label quote would probably be a bit more still.

Offering “royalties” is absolutely pointless for an unsigned act. Not only will there not be any, but accounting for them and auditing them would be impossible. Give me an upfront fee any day!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes but for the fact he’s already mentioned names. I’d really rather the OP went to get permission for any prices he wants to reveal.

I’ve seen well established names work for producer points only; I’ve seen multi thousand dollar deals.

These days I would imagine many do what I do, and have a look at an artist’s streaming stats. Someone independent and doing quite well is likely to get a better deal than someone who’s unheard of, unless the newbie is very driven AND the music is great. And a label quote would probably be a bit more still.

Offering “royalties” is absolutely pointless for an unsigned act. Not only will there not be any, but accounting for them and auditing them would be impossible. Give me an upfront fee any day!

Sorry sorry sorry, it's all my fault, I knew I should not give screenshot of big producers, so I am going to give again the rates anonymously.

I just gave screenshots to give a proof of what these producers said.

I mean there so much liars and scamms on forum, that I prefered that everyone can trust me.

1. So first, a producer from Kontor Record, wich is pretty big said he is okay to produce my track(s) if he likes it and depending on the genre, and if he is credited.
The price he is okay for is 1000 euros.

2. A big producer from Revealed Records wich have made many millions views and official videos back in 2015, said he would be okay to produce, again if he likes the song I made, and would just share the royalties and be credited in the song informations (not the title).

Price (from Revealed producer) : 0 euros.

3. A superstar DJ, not as big as Garrix or Nicky Romero, but wich have been very popular and still is, can be hired on Soundbetter, he said the production price would be 1600 euros.

4. A very talented producer, published in Armada, played by Armin Van Buuren, asked me 600 dollars for production.

Keep care that this is not ghost production : they are credited, and the song is already composed by me (it means the vocals are already recorded and melody + chord progressions done by me).

If I asked them to compose also the music, I think the price would be at least twice more.

So, I don't know if I am going to work with one of them, even if they are all amazing, but I did an experiment, and I made this conclusion :

Many people here said that 600-800 euros is a cheap price for a production.

While a producer can be paid about 20 000 euros when he works for a big artist (the label pay the producer directly), we have to consider that I am, like most musicians, and independant artist, and that asking someone to pay 1000 euros for a track, while it can be justified by the amount of work the producer have to do, it is however not "cheap".
If a producer work for an independant artist, or decide to work for, he has to accept to work for much less money than if he worked for an established artist, I think.

We have to consider that this is also EDM, and that everything is made within a DAW, with softwares, and there is no additional musicians to record.

So the production "cost" is not the same than for other genres including studio musicians.
And it ask much less time to to.

So, now, I am a bit lost : some people here said, and over the internet, that a producer would ask me much more money than what I have read from the producers I asked.

Now, if a "no-name" (even if he is good) producer ask me 2000 euros per track, why would I hire him ?

I mean, I can hire a top EDM producer, or one of my favourite producer from Kontor records instead, why would I hire him ?

It looks like 1000 euros, more or less, is a good price for working on serious project with veryy good producers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

"These days I would imagine many do what I do, and have a look at an artist’s streaming stats. Someone independent and doing quite well is likely to get a better deal than someone who’s unheard of, unless the newbie is very driven AND the music is great. And a label quote would probably be a bit more still."

That's one my "issues", I have been stoping making music for 3 years because of hearing issues (hyperacusis), and now that everything is fine and that I can go back to compose, I have to make me a "name".

I mean, my main goal is

1. Making good compositions, good vocals and lyrics.

2. Find the best producer I can hire, and get the best production possible.

3. Be published on small label

4. Be published on a big EDM youtube channel like Nik Cooper, or Thrilling Music.

Being published in a small label is, for me, not that interesting, but having his music played by a big Youtube channel is much more attractive, and you get a big jump of popularity (at least 20 000 / 30 000 listenings per song, and it can be much more).

Until I have not been on stade 3 and 4, I am not an attractive client for a producer, but I think that if my project is a success, in the sens where I am releasing good musics with good enough stats, it will be much more easier to work with other producers / musicians... !
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Sorry sorry sorry, it's all my fault, I knew I should not give screenshot of big producers, so I am going to give again the rates anonymously.

I just gave screenshots to give a proof of what these producers said.

I mean there so much liars and scamms on forum, that I prefered that everyone can trust me.

1. So first, a producer from Kontor Record, wich is pretty big said he is okay to produce my track(s) if he likes it and depending on the genre, and if he is credited.
The price he is okay for is 1000 euros.

2. A big producer from Revealed Records wich have made many millions views and official videos back in 2015, said he would be okay to produce, again if he likes the song I made, and would just share the royalties and be credited in the song informations (not the title).

Price (from Revealed producer) : 0 euros.

3. A superstar DJ, not as big as Garrix or Nicky Romero, but wich have been very popular and still is, can be hired on Soundbetter, he said the production price would be 1600 euros.

4. A very talented producer, published in Armada, played by Armin Van Buuren, asked me 600 dollars for production.

Keep care that this is not ghost production : they are credited, and the song is already composed by me (it means the vocals are already recorded and melody + chord progressions done by me).

If I asked them to compose also the music, I think the price would be at least twice more.

So, I don't know if I am going to work with one of them, even if they are all amazing, but I did an experiment, and I made this conclusion :

Many people here said that 600-800 euros is a cheap price for a production.

While a producer can be paid about 20 000 euros when he works for a big artist (the label pay the producer directly), we have to consider that I am, like most musicians, and independant artist, and that asking someone to pay 1000 euros for a track, while it can be justified by the amount of work the producer have to do, it is however not "cheap".
If a producer work for an independant artist, or decide to work for, he has to accept to work for much less money than if he worked for an established artist, I think.

We have to consider that this is also EDM, and that everything is made within a DAW, with softwares, and there is no additional musicians to record.

So the production "cost" is not the same than for other genres including studio musicians.

So, now, I am a bit lost : some people here said, and over the internet, that a producer would ask me much more money than what I have read from the producers I asked.

Now, if a "no-name" (even if he is good) producer ask me 2000 euros per track, why would I hire him ?

I mean, I can hire a top EDM producer, or one of my favourite producer from Kontor records instead, why would I hire him ?

It looks like 1000 euros, more or less, is a good price for working on serious project with veryy good producers.
If you can get a "very good" producer to work on your track for "royalties and credits" then go for it, that's all I can say!

I personally would feel a great EDM track has the production that "makes" it really. Writing the topline and chords is only really some of the song...normally the "beatmaker" gets half the publishing (or at least a big split). Which I suppose you're offering, but it's half of very little unless you're an established artist with millions of streams.

Basically, if someone's ready to work for 600euro/track, they either need the work, live somewhere with minimal overhead, don't need the money, or can literally bang it out in a day (mix and all) using their standard template of sounds.

Which may work out great for you - so go for it!

I genuinely don't feel that someone who is still getting tens of thousands for working with established artists is going to spend a couple of days working for much much less - in one case free. What is the incentive? People might drop their price - but not by that much, to free or nearly free (by comparison with 20k).
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
"These days I would imagine many do what I do, and have a look at an artist’s streaming stats. Someone independent and doing quite well is likely to get a better deal than someone who’s unheard of, unless the newbie is very driven AND the music is great. And a label quote would probably be a bit more still."

That's one my "issues", I have been stoping making music for 3 years because of hearing issues (hyperacusis), and now that everything is fine and that I can go back to compose, I have to make me a "name".

I mean, my main goal is

1. Making good compositions, good vocals and lyrics.

2. Find the best producer I can hire, and get the best production possible.

3. Be published on small label

4. Be published on a big EDM youtube channel like Nik Cooper, or Thrilling Music.

Being published in a small label is, for me, not that interesting, but having his music played by a big Youtube channel is much more attractive, and you get a big jump of popularity (at least 20 000 / 30 000 listenings per song, and it can be much more).

Until I have not been on stade 3 and 4, I am not an attractive client for a producer, but I think that if my project is a success, in the sens where I am releasing good musics with good enough stats, it will be much more easier to work with other producers / musicians... !
It's catch 22 for sure. Which is why most people work with peers rather than hiring people, and work their way up together.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Do the producers like your music? All of them stipulated that it's part of the deal. Also I forget if you said already, but is this a deal for a bunch of songs or just for one?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

As someone else mentioned... it's a fiasco trying to figure out your sound, and most likely nothing would get finished for the original price. I would look into something like bandlab or bandmix, fiver, and do a collaboration with other people. After a while, you have something to mix.
A "producer" mite change some things, add some effects, but they're not going to record a whole song.

Here's a scenario:
1. Build me a house, I dont know what size, just pour the concrete
Or..
2. The house is done, paint my living room for $800, here's the colors I'm thinking.

Theres a lot of people out there doing EDM type stuff from home. You could probably get a small group together for free. Even better if they're local, same timezone etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
As someone else mentioned... it's a fiasco trying to figure out your sound, and most likely nothing would get finished for the original price. I would look into something like bandlab or bandmix, fiver, and do a collaboration with other people. After a while, you have something to mix.
A "producer" mite change some things, add some effects, but they're not going to record a whole song.

Here's a scenario:
Or..
2. The house is done, paint my living room for $800, here's the colors I'm thinking.

Theres a lot of people out there doing EDM type stuff from home. You could probably get a small group together for free. Even better if they're local, same timezone etc.
What are you saying ?

Most singers, and a lot of pop/rock composers hire producers to create a production.

In EDM, there is no fiasco at all to find your sound.

There is "rules" and structures like in most genres.

Fiverr people are not artists, they are not going to make anything good. Paying 5 dollars for a "production" is a joke.

Could you detail your first sentence please ? I clearly don't understand...

+ why the hell the production would not be finished for this price ?

What is the logic behind paying for an unfinished work ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

"Here's a scenario:
Or..
2. The house is done, paint my living room for $800, here's the colors I'm thinking."

==> I am into a kind of EDM heavily based on vocals and melodic structures.

You have 3 parts mainly :

1. Vocals + chords

2. Vocals +chords + the fills

3. The drop.

I do the first and 2 logically. The producer may use a synth instead of the piano/guitar I used, or anything else, but the core of the song is from me.

For the drop part, it is often a kind of heavy layered supersaw leads playing.

It is the role of the producer to define the sound, but not to invent musical structures for me.

If I work with a producer, I would work with one I really like and give him, in addition to my own composition, plenty of ideas.

I am very serious with my music project.

But the rule is the following : if the producer have produced his own music, he can produce mine.

I am bad with english but I hope you understand what I mean
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's an interesting video on a similar subject:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

No, no this is a premise that has already been blown out of the water yet you keep repeating it.

You are handing over some chord progressions and melodies. You're acting as though you are handing over a performance and a finished arrangement.

There is a LOT of work to do involving a lot of playing in parts to take that to a finished track, unless you want to add to the huge amount of cookie cutter music the genre is already infested with.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
2. The house is done, paint my living room for $800, here's the colors I'm thinking."
no, absolutely not. That is barely a metaphor for hiring a mixer. Hiring someone to produce - to flesh out your thin skeleton of a song is like having the person build your house. Maybe you poured the cement for the Foundation, maybe you have a sketch of what it kind of will eventually look like.

If it was just a paint job, you could do it yourself. But you can't.

Quote:
It is the role of the producer to define the sound, but not to invent musical structures for me.
It seems to me that you keep confusing the role of producer with a mixer. You apparently need someone to do both, but you act as if you are hiring someone only to do one. If all you are giving him is a chords and a melody then he most certainly is "inventing musical structures". Or else he making the "cookie cutter" music as Quetz referred to.

Quote:
But the rule is the following : if the producer have produced his own music, he can produce mine.
Many artists create very deep music. The thing you like about that artist may be a combination of his composing skills and the production skills.

Quote:
I am bad with english but I hope you understand what I mean
I am not sure if you are "bad with English". It seems to me more like you do not understand the nature of the work that you are asking to have done. Of course, if you did understand it, you could do it yourself. But you can't. Nothing wrong with not being able to do it yourself. Plenty wrong with undervaluing that which you yourself cannot do.

So when you want to talk about payment, you minimize the amount of work you claim the person has to do, and when you want to talk about product, you maximize the amount of work you expect to be done for you! Typical.

Forget composing, your true calling is clearly that you should be a Nightclub Owner!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You want people to trust you, but let's have a quick recap of your thread so far:

1) You start the thread by "asking" if the price you want to pay is acceptable. Then multiple people pointed out that this sort of work is project dependent as far as the price, and what you expected to pay might be a little low compared to what you seemed to expect to get in return.

After getting some answers to your initial "question", you turned the focus of your thread into justifying why the price you want to pay is appropriate. Unrealistic expectations maybe, but not untrustworthy - though it might be the first red flag for someone considering to work with you.

2) You then state that if a person does agree to work with you, that "if the production is not satisfying" then you won't pay the people. Untrustworthy and a serious red flag.

3) You acknowledge that you might have to pay 50% up front, but state that you will take the money back if you don't like the result. Again, a serious red flag. At this point I'd imagine most serious producers/mixers would see you as a hassle and maybe a liability to work with if they had the full content and context of all these comments.

4) After multiple posters chime in to explain that the extent and nature of the work you want done might not be as simple as it seems, you continue to try to justify why your price is reasonable for the work you want done, rather than reevaluate your own preconceived notions about how you wanted this thread to go. That's not untrustworthy, but it does show a clear lack of respect and understanding of the work you want done by the person you are hoping to hire.

5) In an attempt to prove you were right in your initial assumption, you contact multiple people and have a private conversation about price negotiations, which you state you will post screenshots of. After being told this is not a good idea, you do it anyway. That is extremely unprofessional and DOES make you look untrustworthy.

Not to mention your conversations with these producers are under the premise of you needing work done because of your hearing being bad. So it's not unrealistic to assume that some of these responses could be driven by wanting to help you out in your specific case, and it's reasonable to assume that these rates might not apply to everybody, right? Otherwise, why wouldn't they have just posted their rates on their website/linkden, etc..?

I'm not trying to call you out, but if you want people to trust you, you need to give them a reason to, and your professionalism - or lack thereof - is a big part of that. Good luck on your project.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
What are you saying ?

Most singers, and a lot of pop/rock composers hire producers to create a production.
"Rock composers"....generally play in bands. Sure the bands (or their label) hire a producer/engineer/mixer, but they also play their parts and contribute a good chunk of the arrangements.

Pop "composers generally ARE the producers. Often the mix engineers too. Sometimes the frontperson/artist themselves.

Singers - often team with a producer to do the above yes, but it's often a collaboration from the start - writing and production. Sometimes you'll get someone who's just written a basic song and wants it arranged, but again usually that's someone who's collaborating on a similar level. Sometimes they might be approaching "names" to work with.

Quote:
In EDM, there is no fiasco at all to find your sound.

There is "rules" and structures like in most genres.
"EDM" has many facets and whilst there's trends and common themes, it's changing all the time and nothing to stop people going off in their own directions.

Quote:
==> I am into a kind of EDM heavily based on vocals and melodic structures.

You have 3 parts mainly :

1. Vocals + chords

2. Vocals +chords + the fills

3. The drop.

I do the first and 2 logically. The producer may use a synth instead of the piano/guitar I used, or anything else, but the core of the song is from me.

For the drop part, it is often a kind of heavy layered supersaw leads playing.

Sounds a bit cookie cutter to me. The whole "drop" structure was huge a few years ago, it's nothing like as common now. I wouldn't expect to be opening any doors like this!

Again - it'd be SO much more worthwhile to position yourself as a topliner/co-composer and work with people from the start in developing songs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

@ Pepino456 "Could you detail your first sentence please ? I clearly don't understand"

Hey Buddy, what I meant along with the house scenario, is that with just a chord structure, there is a lot of different routes the song could go. I dont know much about EDM besides my neighbor doing it and being somewhat established.
He (my neighbor) mite take your song layout one way. Then another dude takes it the opposite direction. One guy turns your G C D A, into a dub step type thing, the other guy adds a guitar solo, etc
So working closely or even in person is a better option, for getting the sound that you have in your head. Trying to convey that sound in an email is agonizing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search