The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What are the absolute coolest mix tricks/effects i.e Panning airplane...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What are the absolute coolest mix tricks/effects i.e Panning airplane...

What are the absolute coolest mix tricks/effects i.e Panning airplane, robotic voice etc?

I'm not kidding about the airplane like on the Beatles back to the ussr or the spark on Dr. Dre's first chronic album.

Is it possible to pan from up and down instead of left and right?

Or someway to mimic that?

Making your voice robotic has always been cool.

Are there any other sound effects or techniques that have blown your minds?

An effect?

Something that seemed impossible to pull off?

Getting any sample off youtube is cool.

Like a Lamborghini rev or something ppl don't come across day to day.

What else is there?

Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by contax View Post
What are the absolute coolest mix tricks/effects i.e Panning airplane, robotic voice etc?

I'm not kidding about the airplane like on the Beatles back to the ussr or the spark on Dr. Dre's first chronic album.

Is it possible to pan from up and down instead of left and right?

Or someway to mimic that?

Making your voice robotic has always been cool.

Are there any other sound effects or techniques that have blown your minds?

An effect?

Something that seemed impossible to pull off?

Getting any sample off youtube is cool.

Like a Lamborghini rev or something ppl don't come across day to day.

What else is there?

Thank you!
Pan up to down ... use a filter with low pass selected (test different Slopes) and just pull the Filter down - it should give the effect of "panning Down" if i understood you correctly ..

i have used airplanes landing / taking off for transitions ...

swirling around your head - i love that stuff .. toss someear candy into a A Swirl ... Brauner Motion from Waves is pretty cool for things like that
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Pan up to down ... use a filter with low pass selected (test different Slopes) and just pull the Filter down - it should give the effect of "panning Down" if i understood you correctly ..

i have used airplanes landing / taking off for transitions ...

swirling around your head - i love that stuff .. toss someear candy into a A Swirl ... Brauner Motion from Waves is pretty cool for things like that
Thanks for your reply. Are there any great examples of that swirling effect I can look for on youtube?

Thanks again.

When vocalists punch in with different voices back to back that's cool.

Flangers are cool.

What else is there? Wild/cool/innovative audio effects?

Thanks Ill try that up below panning.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Are there any great examples of that swirling effect I can look for on youtube?

Thanks again.

When vocalists punch in with different voices back to back that's cool.

Flangers are cool.

What else is there? Wild/cool/innovative audio effects?

Thanks Ill try that up below panning.
about 20:15 into video - super slow swirl - cool .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k6Vfxdj6V8
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
about 20:15 into video - super slow swirl - cool .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k6Vfxdj6V8
Jw woah that looks cool! I'm going to check it out further when I get home with my headphones.

Other then panning are there any other far out/cool/different effetcs/plugins out there?

Thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Jw woah that looks cool! I'm going to check it out further when I get home with my headphones.

Other then panning are there any other far out/cool/different effetcs/plugins out there?

Thanks again!
Soundtoys has a couple .. Crystallizer, Filter Freak

Valhalla Freq Echo ..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Double post edit. My bad.

Last edited by contax; 3 weeks ago at 03:36 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Valhalla Freq Echo ..
Excellent, I'll check those out!

If anyone knows any other effects/cool sounds/out there/innovative techniques please contribute to this thread. Thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Valhalla Freq Echo ..
Wow! Just Wow! I checked out every vst you mentioned on youtube and they all sound amazing! Thank you JW!

Can anyone else mention anything else topuc related?

Like well mixed drum and bass or dub step?

I remember a transformers movie gad incredible special effects sounds. Crashes, guns, spinning meral with bass.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You mentioned robot voice, I have an Electrix Warp Factory I never use but it's fun for crazy stuff like that, little noisy but I believe it's an all analog signal path. Used to be really cheap like $100, not sure anymore. It has a dedicated instant-robot-voice knob for Transformers voice. Going off memory but I think the secret was using a heavily distorted tritone as the... carrier I guess. Anyway I thought it was funny this unit had it baked in and rdy to go with a knob twist, no matter what setting you were on, haha.

To get weird with any vocoder or plugin, try using something other than voice as the modulator. Like a drum loop as the modulator for a keyboard pad as the carrier. Mix it up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
You mentioned robot voice, I have an Electrix Warp Factory I never use but it's fun for crazy stuff like that, little noisy but I believe it's an all analog signal path. Used to be really cheap like $100, not sure anymore. It has a dedicated instant-robot-voice knob for Transformers voice. Going off memory but I think the secret was using a heavily distorted tritone as the... carrier I guess. Anyway I thought it was funny this unit had it baked in and rdy to go with a knob twist, no matter what setting you were on, haha.

To get weird with any vocoder or plugin, try using something other than voice as the modulator. Like a drum loop as the modulator for a keyboard pad as the carrier. Mix it up.
Awesome! I'll check it out.

I remember a couple years back there was a program dedicated to changing voice in real time with hundreads of voices.

The panning plug ins are very innovative.

Anything else mix/master/plugin/vst wise uou guys can recommend in terms of very awe-insping effects?

That slow panning one mentioned above is literally a trip on the brain to listen to!
Old 2 weeks ago
Cool - listen to Spotify's "new music friday" or similar playlists, and you'll hear examples of what the pop world considers "cool" right now.

Personally I think you'll find robot voices and panning things might come more under "dated", but there's always examples that work (I think Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek" will always be cool for example).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Billie Eilish another current example of a lot of vocal manipulation going on, lots of production-focused tricks going on actually. Also some rap will use boogeyman type octave-down voice, like A$AP Rocky & Skrillex Wild For The Night, as another example. Not my cup o' tea but throwing it out there, haha.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Bowzin and Psycho - thank you so much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search