The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good mixes Lo-Fi / Mid-Fi
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Yes, if you do not have those things, you can have all the equipment in the world and it will not help you. That is common sense, i thought!!
I agree.
It is so common sense that one could even infer that it was in fact the subtext of the initial question.
As in...
Which records were recorded in cheap environment and because of talent and skills of the mixing engineer they turned out to be above the expectations?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

One of my favourite topics, though I'm a little rusty on it.

Lee Fields and the Expressions - It Rains Love
A recent one discovered through the Jamie Lidell podcast, recorded on a 4 track in mono - that interview is worth a listen.

J Dilla - Donuts
Legend is that it was all done on an SP-303 with a box of 45s from his hospital bed. Can't be entirely true as not all the tunes are available on a 45. Not sure it's fair, as similar to Beck's Odelay, it's music made with samples of music from posh studios. One Foot In The Grave may be a better example for Beck.

Ariel Pink - The Doldrums (one of many lo-fi AP albums)
Not my thing, appreciate however that "good mix" is subjective, so it may be yours.

Rich Warren - The Wayfarer
I've met him several times, lovely guy. Think this was recorded on a portable reel to reel, but don't quote me on that.

Clouddead - Clouddead
All cheap gear, including a blender. Was a great listen after a doob, they were the days.

This article shows how bad the gear used on Nebraska was.

And a bit off topic, but if you haven't already, read through the glass. While it's interviews with people with access to the best studios, the questions sometimes lead to minimal gear, and it's quite inspirational that several (iirc) talk about being able to cope with just a valve pre and an SM57. I'm sure that there's a retired one also that's moved to a 4 track now.

I'm sure I have better examples, brain is switched off at the moment though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search