The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Explain Audio interfaces for Live electronic music
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Explain Audio interfaces for Live electronic music

hey y'all! I have made music using reason and a bluesnowball USB mic/Audacity and I've started putting myself out there and performing live. My live set up is I play an Akai MPK mini playing synths out of Reason, trigger audio loops in Ablteton using an Akai MPD218, and singing (I have a vocal pedal but haven't had the balls to bring this to an open mic ....yet).

For open mics it's a bit tricky because you only get ~ 1 minute to get your stuff all set up and going. However, after a few performances, it's clear that the sound quality is not awesome when I use headphone--RCA cord and it was an unmitigated disaster the one time when all that was available was a 3 foot aux cable from someone's car For future open mics and performances where I will have actual set up time, I'd like to improve the sound quality.

A helpful employee at a local audio store recommended I get an audio interface. I'm on a budget and would like to spend less than $100 on any new equipment. can y'all explain to me why having an audio interface would be a good move and with my set up and budget in mind recommmend a piece of equipment? Perhaps silly question, but are there additional cords I need?

thanks!

in sonic solidarity
mt. fog
Old 4 weeks ago
If i was to set up something for live open mic's, an audio interface would not even be on my list. Record yourself a backing track and buy a regular mic. Play the backing track in their sound system and plug the mic into a PA.

Hey but that's me and i like to do things right. If you want to be depend on a DAW, audio interface, USB mic and what ever else you may need, then listen to that guy at the guitar store and drive yourself crazy buying something that is not 'really' meant for live performances
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

That's confusing advice. If i'm playing keys through a DAW do I need an Audio interface? But in your view if I'm just playing a backtrack from iTunes i don't? I mean I'm all for simplicity but if getting a piece of hardware means better sound all the time and I get to play instrument live...I'm for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
If i'm playing keys through a DAW do I need an Audio interface?
an audio interface is used so your sound can go into your PC and for it to communicate to your DAW, so yes. without an audio interface, how will you get your sounds to go to your DAW?
Quote:
But in your view if I'm just playing a backtrack from iTunes i don't?
If you do not use a PC to play the backing track, then you do not need an audio interface. It all depends on how you wish to play your backing track
Quote:
I mean I'm all for simplicity but if getting a piece of hardware means better sound all the time and I get to play instrument live...I'm for it.
For live performances, hardware and not DAW's are better in my opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search