The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Clearing a sample???
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Clearing a sample???

Hey all,

I am producing music together with a friend who just sent me a demo of a song that he produced last week. The song contains a sample from an old Italian movie, beautiful classic instrumental.

Now, I am not in favor of sampling as I have this idea that it wil cost a ton of money and / or will take a long time to get clearance if there's even a chance of getting it cleared.

I'm wondering how most of the hip hop songs get clearances as I've heard Universal charges 7000 USD for a 1 second snippet of a Rick James song from his live album, not even his biggest hit.

I also wonder if you always need to pay a fee and how much the standard fees are for samples and what the process is like..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

That's actually a very good question. Also looking forward to the answer, just out of curiosity.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I also wonder if you always need to pay a fee and how much the standard fees are for samples and what the process is like..
Its on a case by case basis. There are no set and standard fee's. It depends on who owns the rights (the copyright owner) and they set a fee based on what they want to charge.

There are no standard fees, the music publisher usually require an upfront payment and can could be anywhere between $250 and $10,000 and a percentage of the song(snippet income that can be between 15% and 50%

Last edited by CJ Mastering; 3 weeks ago at 06:56 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

What CJ Mastering said. I like this from the Future Sound of London:

"We sampled Ozric Tentacles on this track. In those days you'd send a letter with a copy of the sample and the track on a cassette, then a month later you'd get a reply. They said, 'Just have it, but can you buy us a copy of Cubase?' It seemed like there was support from the artist community across the generations. What a lovely, spirited understanding for what we were trying to do."

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech...feforms-606889

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search