All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lion King 2019 record vocals on stereo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Lion King 2019 record vocals on stereo

Hi,
I watched the behind the scenes of Lion King 2019 and I have 3 questions:

1. Why they record vocals on stereo?
2. Which microphone is on 0:46 (not the U87, the silver)
3. In 5:06 the headphones is blink (I think by tempo) what special in this headphone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnaJCnNolg

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1. It's a two mics recording set-up (both mono), probably not a stereo recording. It helps with a couple of things. First, the sound, you can put a warm mic and a brighter mic and then while mixing making a blend of the two signals depending on how much clarity or warmth you want in certain sections of the song. And then, it also helps with glitches, sometimes a mic can react poorly on a certain consonant or anything and having two recordings is a safety net, especially on big movies like those, where the budget is huge but strict and time is restrained so you would never have enough time or money to redo an entire session for a couple bad takes.

2. I don't know.

3. Those are "VersaSound Silent headphones" for djs and parties and more on which you can have your logo printed on the ear sides. Those are basically wireless headphones that everyone wears instead of having speakers, new trend incoming I assume, that way everyone gets the music directly in their ears without hearing the background noise of the party. It's a sort of monitoring network at a greater scale. I guess in that precise case, they must have been recording background vocals and instead of having tons of cables everywhere for the monitoring returns, they opted for a more convenient wireless way. Pretty clever actually if you ask me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

2. Looks like a vintage AKG C12. There's also a third mic that looks like a Sennheiser 8000 series.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search