The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need advice on monitor placement
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Need advice on monitor placement

I have a guesthouse where I do most of my music production and would like to inquire on where the best place to mix is based on my current room specs (simple picture attached). There are only two places where I can put my setup but I would like some advice on which position is better for stereo accuracy and acoustics. Sound treatment is obviously the next step and I would like some advice on where to place bass traps and acoustic panels as well. I am relatively new to this stuff so feedback and constructive criticism will be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on monitor placement-mixing-positions-ghesthouse.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Your best bet is to head over to the Studio Building and Acoustics forum: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...ing-acoustics/

There's a lot of good reading material there, including a couple of sticky threads at the top of the list that will get you started (check out the "Acoustics/Treatment Reference Guide"). Unfortunately the seemingly simple question of "where should I put my monitors" can quickly get complex, but if you do some homework and narrow down your questions you should be able to get some good assistance. I'd also add a recommendation for the folks at GIK Acoustics - they were extremely helpful to me in my own setup process and got me to a good spot for less than I thought I'd have to spend.

Wishing you lots of good times in the space!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thank you will check those out
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Worth considering as a variation on position 2: mix position in bottom left-hand corner, with you directly facing the corner, not either of the walls - ie, with your desk straddling the corner at 45 degrees to each of the walls. (Also, position 2 itself seems to have the speakers 25 feet apart, which obviously you don't want.) This is probably better than position 1, where both walls will be pretty close to a speaker - and might just be the most symmetrical, as well. The guys at GIK will usually advise if you ask - as well as selling a great product, if you're not planning to DIY it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks for your input, but just for some clarification what are the benefits of me in the corner vs me facing a wall? I know that my monitors have a rear facing port that will bounce sound off the rear wall but does the corner setup reduce this effect? Also will this be a good position for stereo accuracy?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzumtobel View Post
Thanks for your input, but just for some clarification what are the benefits of me in the corner vs me facing a wall? I know that my monitors have a rear facing port that will bounce sound off the rear wall but does the corner setup reduce this effect? Also will this be a good position for stereo accuracy?
One of the first priorities when setting up is creating a "reflection free zone" or RFZ in the monitoring position - you want to eliminate (as much as possible) ways for reflected sound to reach your ears, so that you're only hearing the direct sound from the monitors. This prevents interactions between the direct and reflected sound, so they don't reinforce or subtract from one another.

Again, it gets complicated when you start working on a specific space, and you'll want to worth through the process in a methodical way, but in general a solid RFZ is an important factor in achieving good stereo imaging and bouncing sound works against that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzumtobel View Post
Better symmetry - the reflected sound for L&R in the other two positions will be very different. Also, in position 1, you'd effectively be siitting in a narrow, hallway type set up, with the side walls being very close to the mix position - and strong first reflections as a result.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thank you makes sense now
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Just another question, isn't it usually a rule of thumb to keep the monitors out of corners of the room as much as possible? If I am sitting in the corner won't the bass build up be very noticeable even with sufficient bass traps?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search