The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sony DAT Recorder DTC-A7 Problem
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sony DAT Recorder DTC-A7 Problem

Hello, I have a DAT recorder that is having a very bad issue with tapes. I know DATs would be considered "not worth the trouble" especially now, but I feel the need to fix this. I will first explain the superficial problems, and then my findings of specific problems.

Problems: These problems started when a tape wouldn't eject at all despite the power cycles and little patience I had. I 'fixed' it by unscrewing this trapdoor on the bottom of it with two gears. One of them moved one of the spindles in the tape and another moved the roller guides. I fiddled with both of them and it didn't seem like it did much until I tried ejecting/inserting a tape. This created new problems. Basically, when I load a tape (which was recorded perfectly and recently in 44.1 khz and presumably 16 bit), the recorder will play it back horribly in a 'pixelated' sense and drops here and there when the data can hardly be read. After 15-30 seconds of playback, the sound will get better and play pretty much perfectly except that it still has low quality (a bit less quality than 128 kbps mp3) and that bothers me. Another issue is that when I eject, 8 times out of 10, it will attempt to eject 3 or 4 times and then fail to eject. I have to turn it off then on again for it to work. One other issue is that the tape will start to slow and then stop as if it's stuck, but only sometimes the tape will actually get caught. I've tried a cleaning tape, but that didn't work too well.

Findings: I opened up the deck and I observed the tape while loading it. The right roller guide didn't move and was all the way up where it couldn't have any contact with the tape. The only parts that brought up the tape were the left roller guide and the pinch roller. When the tape would get stuck and slow down was when the tape would slip off the pinch roller.

Summary: The main problem is that the right roller guide won't move and is all the way up its path, which may be the main cause of horrendous quality/dropouts and mechanism problems. I just need help on how to get that to move.

Last edited by LeafAce; 4 weeks ago at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Messed up title

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search